Monday, September 29, 2014








29 September 2014


I haven't participated in the Musing Mondays meme for a while.  It is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.  Basically, it is a place for you to talk about your reading, with or without prompts.




I thought that today I would share what has caught my attention in the literary world recently.   Of course, I obtained my copy, the day it was released, of Jan Karon's new title "Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good".  It is the next in the Mitford series, the first in a while after her two fantastic reads in the Father Tim series.  I can't tell you how it feels to read Karon's Mitford series books.  You feel like you are going "home" or to a different time/place (although they are very contemporary).  The books all take place in the fictional town of Mitford and, like all small towns, it has a cast of very colorful, loveable and not so loveable characters and there is always one you can identify with or say you know somebody "just like that".  This is the sort of book you can settle in with and just lose yourself for a while.  Yep, they are that good. However, if you are just beginning with the Karon series please start at the beginning with the first one.  They will make much better sense that way!





I have also been reading M. C. Beaton's Agatha Raisin series.  I started out reading her Hamish MacBeth series and then started following her on Facebook and decided to pick up one of the Agatha Raisin series and give it a go.  I started at the beginning with the first one and was instantly hooked.  I am now on my third and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.  These are delightful little mysteries, quick reads, engaging and humorous.  They are being made into a tv show in the UK -- I certainly hope we get to see it here in the States!


Happy Fall!






2 comments:

JC Jones said...

I love both of those series. I introduced the Mitford books to my Mother years ago and she also loved them. I need to pick the new one up. My Mother is gone but reading one will keep her close.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

The new Karon book is very good -- and comfortably long. I can already tell I am going to be sad when it ends.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...