Monday, October 20, 2014







Musing Mondays is hosted by Miz B at shouldbereading.wordpress.com.  This meme gives readers the opportunity to discuss all aspects of their reading experience.

Lately I have been reading the Agatha Raisin mystery series by M. C. Beaton.  The books are about a 50-something Agatha Raisin, retired PR firm owner, who has moved to the Cotswolds to enjoy quiet, village life.   Her life, however, has been anything but quiet.  When she first arrived she had quite an adjustment to village life as compared to her busy life in London.  She made an effort to involve herself in village events which proved to be a disaster.  She angered people and she was annoyed by almost everybody -- except her next door neighbor, James Lacey.  As time has gone on and the series has progressed she has made friends, she has settled into the rhythm of the village, she has acquired cats and she has managed to lose her cottage -- but in the latest "episode" that is being resolved.

I guess whenever we read we have a mental picture of the characters and when I think of Agatha Raisin I see a thinner -- but not too thin -- Dawn French.  I know there is a tv series currently being filmed based on this series and the actress is definitely not Dawn French but I will always think of her when I read these books. 

The books have gotten mixed reviews on Goodreads.  I think they are the sort of thing that you either like or you don't.  Well, I do.  They are short which is great because I can sandwich one or two between longer reads, they are engaging which is a necessary attribute and they are, in a word, entertaining and, in my opinion, that is why I read for the most part, to be entertained.

I would recommend these books to anybody who likes mysteries.  My only suggestion is that you start with the first book as they do build on each other.

Happy reading!

6 comments:

JC Jones said...

I love Agatha Raisin and have followed the books from the beginning. Didn't know it was being made into a TV series. Which country? Since I live in the US i hope here but probably not.

Your door is so welcoming. Great picture.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thank you! I have a very small "stoop" so I can't do much to decorate but love the little pumpkins. The series is being made in the UK but hopefully we will get it here in the US at some point -- probably PBS! I would love it.

Anonymous said...

This is why I always take reviews with a grain of salt--all that really matters is whether or not YOU like a particular book! It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you're enjoying it!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You are so right!

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I have a couple of these on my kindle and I really must try one out before too long. Thanks for a great musing.

http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com

Boyett-Brinkley said...

They are quick reads -- I am reading on my Nook because it is easy to read in the car (not driving -- promise!).

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...