Thursday, February 11, 2016

Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam by M C Beaton






Yesterday I finished reading "Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam" by M C Beaton.  I have to say that one of my favorite things is a series of books to read -- I like the continuity and the Agatha Raisin books don't disappoint -- may I say the omnipresent James Lacey?  I have to say, though, that I have been disappointed in a couple of the "episodes" if you will but not this one.  I thoroughly enjoyed the "fairies".

This episode takes Agatha to Norfolk to run away -- again -- from James.  It seems she is always running away from or toward James and I am not sure why except he seems to be a challenge for her in one way or another. Personally, I don't see it -- but to each his own.


In any event, she winds up in the village of Fryfam and smack in the middle of another mystery -- and she has fairies in the back garden of her rental.  Or does she?  She may never really know.

This book follows much the formula of all the others -- Conflict (usually James) causes Agatha to depart her cottage in Carsley.  She finds herself in the middle of some local drama -- murder seems to be a common thing in small English villages -- and she, of course, out does the local police in finding the killer and solving the mystery but not without coming quite close to finding herself pushing up daisies as well.  There is always a sub-drama as well -- in this case -- the fairies.

At the end of these books she is always suffering from some amount of regret, shame, or embarrassment and this book was no different.  She always has a moment that she chastises herself for her flight from home and swears to never leave again but, of course, she does.

These books are very formulaic but still quite enjoyable.  They are "cozy" and easy to read and nice to curl up with by the fire for a long evening of reading. However, this title ended a bit differently -- a cliff hanger in a way and....what about those fairies?

I would recommend this series to anybody who is just reading for pure pleasure.

2 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Yes, lovely cosy, undemanding books. Have you tried the Hamish MacBeth books by the same author? I enjoyed "A HighLand Christmas" at Christmas (funnily enough) and it was wonderfully cosy!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Mary! I listened to "A Highland Christmas" on audio book and have a few of the other titles on my shelf -- the goal is to finish the Agatha Raisin books and then start the Hamish books. I really enjoy M C Beaton's writing! BTW -- letter on it's way -- finally. I hadn't forgotten you -- just kept getting interrupted by life!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...