Saturday, June 10, 2017

A Week --

I can hardly believe that a week has passed since I was here last.  It has been a rather uneventful week -- and slow -- but I can handle slow since some of my facebook "friends" are already counting down to Christmas.  I don't really understand that but since I don't do it I guess it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I digress.  The week started out with me having a bit of minor surgery.  As many of you know I underwent chemotherapy treatment almost four years ago.  This treatment required me to have a port installed.  Well, I never really made friends with this port -- I didn't name it or anything -- I just put up with it.  It wasn't completely dreadful but it was never really comfortable either.  So, last doctor visit, The Man, Dr. H. asked if I was ready to lose it.  I said "yes, please" but I had a pang of guilt.  I shouldn't have been so callous toward the port -- after all, it did help to save my life -- but, well, I get sappy over strange things.  So, Monday was the day.  I was elated on one hand and slightly terrified on the other.  It wasn't done in a hospital setting but right there in the doctor's office.  I was sort of anticlimactic, actually.  Nothing to write home about.  However, because of my feelings of guilt toward the port -- I brought it home.  In a jar.  It looks brand new.  Like it could be recycled.  Sometimes I am so odd.

So, anyway, I haven't experienced any ill effects from the removal except the reaction to the adhesives on the tape.  I discussed my reactions with Dr. H so he used something that I wouldn't react to.  And I didn't.  I was to remove the bandage after 48 hours.  I did.  However, I decided that I still needed to cover it so I had some gauze pads and paper tape -- good to go, right?  Wrong.  By the next morning I was reacting to the adhesive on the tape.  So, I used some old paper tape I had had for at least ten years.  Yep, still reacted so I took the whole mess off and decided to just let it go.  I am still itching and have little blistery places.  I am healing nicely and the whole area is just a little tender, not painful, but itchy.  I guess I should have followed his instructions and just uncovered it.  Next time I won't try to be so proactive.  I hope there isn't a next time.

So, the rest of the week has been mostly just resting to heal and doing a bit of housework and laundry.  I have started back on my 6 week challenge with Jenn.  While I was resting I got to thinking about what my physical needs are and mostly I need help with my mobility.  I don't move around enough and then when I try to jump into an exercise routine I fail miserable.  So, that got me to thinking about a dance class I took in college.  It was half jazz and half pilates and stretching.  It was wonderful.  Painful but wonderful.  I remember how it transformed my body and how I felt so strong.  I remember the exercises pretty well so I decided to try to do that.  Keeping in mind to be careful of my arm I set out to recreate my college experience.  Of course, I couldn't do as many reps as I did then but I am hoping to work up to it.  I have to say that after doing this for a couple of days my ankles and feet are less painful and I think that this is what I should have been doing all along.  I surprised myself that I can actually bend over and touch the floor.  I didn't think I could do that.

Yesterday I was hit with the worse case of boredom I have experienced in years and years.  I am usually not bored but yesterday nothing was interesting me.  So, I pulled out a small cross stitch project.  I made good progress on it and maybe have a renewed interest in the craft.  I used to do all manner of needlework but somewhere along the line the desire just left me but this was fun last night so maybe I can keep it going -- if I choose small enough projects.  I will post a photo of my finish when I...finish.

Today is grocery shopping.  I don't really care for any of the grocery stores right around me so I have to travel a ways to go to the one I sort of like.  I don't like grocery shopping much at all but it gets me out of the house and it gives me a reason to walk so it is beneficial in that regard.  I don't understand why we don't have more grocery stores -- it almost seems like companies don't think we need groceries anymore.  By my daughter's house they are building grocery stores on almost every corner but not in my part of town.  It is really odd.  I know that people are able to order online these days but I don't think enough people are doing that to close down bricks and mortar stores.  I don't even think I want to start shopping online.  I would never leave my house!

So, that is my week.  Not very interesting - trust me -- I know.  Maybe next week will be better.

7 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Hmm. Quite a mixed week. Good to hear that both you and your doc are confident enough for the port to go. Do you have plans for it? Maybe hang it on the Christmas tree when your friends’ count downs are complete? It would make a good talking point – yes?

You’ve learnt quite about about your own body. It doesn’t like tape, it would like to move. I invested in a Rod Stewart album a few weeks ago and have taken to (what I laughingly call) dancing but only after I have closed the curtains. Don’t want to terrify the neighbours!

Interested to hear that you are re-exploring cross stitch. Me too. Hate to mention it but I too have Christmas in mind!

I much prefer on-line grocery shopping myself. I find I do far less impulse shopping and plan my purchases far more carefully. At the moment each shop starts with 30-40 ice lollies. How’s that for organisation?

Hope the boredom is over and takes it’s time to come back.


Pom Pom said...

Hi BB! I am glad you sailed through getting your port removed.
Are people really counting down to Christmas already? It's June.
It's getting hot here. I am going to nap in the cool house.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Mary -- yes, I have been learning a lot about myself -- I think I am finally paying attention to ME -- not an easy thing to always do. I am all about the dancing -- and Rod Stewart! -- there is no better exercise I don't think. I mean, didn't we all have tiny waists when we were doing the twist? I think it sounds marvelous. Yes, I am giving the cross stitch another go -- I have done so much of it in my life that I guess I just burned out but I am making Beanie a birthday card so it isn't a huge project. And honestly, as I was looking through a stack of CS mags last night there was all sorts of Christmas stuff and I got to thinking about Christmas cards!!!! So, I was right there with you! I went to the grocery store and I actually almost enjoyed it -- almost. At least now I can feed us for a few days. Anything to do with food -- other than eating it -- isn't my favorite thing but it makes it a bit easier when there is actually something in the house to cook. I am a very bad housewife, actually! Yes, the boredom has waned for the moment I think. I hope so anyway.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Pom Pom! Thank you! Yes, I never should have been nervous at all -- it was a non issue. And yes, people are counting down to Christmas and I think it is awful. I know that people love Christmas and I do too, one of my favorite holidays, but I like spring and summer and autumn too -- don't like wishing my life away! It is hot here as well -- I am in the nice cool house and don't plan to leave!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Oh, Mary -- I think the port is going to stay on my desk for awhile. I could make it into a Christmas ornament though! Yes, the dr. seems to be quite confident and I trust him so I am good. And now I have more range of motion in my neck which is a good thing! The doctor said to show it to my family and tell them that this is what I did to make sure I was here to do things for you! I could be a good conversation starter!

Pom Pom said...

Where are you, BB?

Frugally challenged said...

Just what I was wondering (what PP said).

Catching up, Checkin in —

 Hi, all! Happy belated St. Patrick’s Day!  It was a lovely day here, a bit cool, but dry which is good because we have been getting a lot o...