Monday, April 07, 2008

Miss Read Challenge


I have an affinity for buying books, similar to my affinity for buying needlework/quilting paraphenalia and Poirot mystery DVD's. All of these things are lovely, in their own way, but need to be dealt with eventually because I am sure they have the ability to multiply themselves in the dark. So, here in the early days of 2008, I have been making time to participate in each of these activities -- at least a bit each day.

The Young Readers Challenge has been quite helpful in making me look at my collection of children's books that I have either never read or wish to read again. Unfortunately, it sent me to the bookstore to look for more which my one bulging bookcase can't handle.

As I looked at the bulging bookcase, the books resting there two deep, I became very aware of my reading "style". I tend to like books that are either historical fiction or that represent a cozy, homey sort of life that is found in a time or place that is different from that in which I live. The one notable thing about my selection of books is that they are mostly in series. Since I just finished the latest book by Jan Karon, "Home from Holly Springs", I was looking for something to follow it up with (while waiting for the next Karon) so I went to Karon's website and she suggested a couple of Miss Read books of the Thrush Green series. I went to my bulging bookcase -- noted as the BBC from here on -- and I found that I had a copy of the first Miss Read work from 1955. The title is "Tales of a Village School". Upon further review, I learned that there are two sizable Miss Read series -- the Fairacre series and the Thrush Green series. The book I have is the first of the Fairace series and that is where I will begin. (Note: www.fantasticfiction.co.uk has a listing of all the Miss Read books by series)

So, I have decided to begin my own reading challenge. I am going to challenge myself to begin the Miss Read books and see how far I go. If anyone would care to join me just let me know. There are no rules -- rules aren't fun -- just choose a book and have a go.

"Miss Read has created an orderly universe in which people are kind and conscientious and cherish virtues and manners now considered antiquated elsewhere...An occasional visit to Fairace offers a restful change from the frenetic pace of the contemporary world." ---Publishers Weekly

See, I told you I liked books from a different time and place than the one in which I live.

Happy Reading!

5 comments:

monique said...

OK, I'll bite! I have placed the first three in the Thrush Green series on reserve at the library :)

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Yay! Thanks for reading my blog! I was really feeling alone out here, nobody reads my blog :(. I am looking forward to these books, however and glad you are along for the ride!

jlshall said...

Poor Cuzzie! I always read your blog. But you knew that. I've read the first 3 'Miss Read' Fairacre books, and I always intended to go back and read more of them - I think I've even got a few in storage. So maybe I'll try and dig them out and join the challenge.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

JLSHall--

I know you read my blog and I am glad. It can be a lonely place out here in Blogsville!

Well, I have wanted to read the Miss Read books for a long time and this is a good excuse to do it. Not like I need an excuse but rather an inspiration.

I would like it if you would read-a-long-with-Cuzzie --- I mean, after all, you are the one that got me interested in the challenges and, actually, into blogging too.

So, let's go!

Lova ya,
Cuzzie

monique said...

I started Thrush Green yesterday!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...