Thursday, February 11, 2016

Throw Back Thursday




This is a photo of Zipp's Pharmacy located in the "new" shopping center of Allena Village in San Antonio in the 1950's.  This shopping center, built in around 1953 was in the "suburbs" but still not far from our house so we started shopping there.

The shopping center was also home to HEB grocery store, Kelly's Barber and Beauty shop, The Juvenile -- a children's clothing store, a ladies clothing store, a shoe store and, of course, Winn's -- the best 5 and 10 cent store ever.

Saturday was our shopping day for the most part and we would hit this shopping center early.  My mom would get her hair done, we would shop the clothing stores and Winn's, have lunch at the lunch counter at this very drug store and then grocery shop before going home.

We used this pharmacy until it closed -- I remember getting my pre-natal vitamins there because we lived in the neighborhood attached to this shopping center.  I also remember buying many bottles of Presco Nose Drops which I used to combat the perpetual stuffiness from perpetual allergies!

I remember the mobile library coming to this shopping center and my husband remembers a truck that would park in the parking lot and you could have your feather pillows cleaned, fluffed and restuffed.  I don't remember that.

The HEB Grocery Store was not a huge store but it was a great store -- it had a bakery, it sold records (remember records?), cosmetics and perfume -- it was one stop shopping and, sometimes, you could even get a date! That is where I met my husband way back in 1965.  Saturdays were so cool then!

So, anyway, I have fond memories of this drug store and this shopping center and this entire side of San Antonio.  It was a really nice place to grow up.


3 comments:

Penhallow Street said...

The days before shopping malls :) It sounds as if that was the perfect Saturday with your mom--in a shopping center that had everything anyone could need. I get nostalgic whenever I see black and white photos.

I miss the days of the 5 and 10--here they were either Newberry's or Woolworths. A dime bought a lot when we were young. Our last 5 and 10 closed here 10 years ago. Simpler times--I miss them :)

Bonnie

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I miss them too, Bonnie! Actually, around here, it seems like the days of shopping malls are over. They are closing up all over the place and new building is that of strip centers, a lot like the one in my photo only fancier. It seems as if retail has made full circle. Makes me feel old!

Penhallow Street said...

Yes, I know what you mean--we'll just refer to ourselves as "older" rather than old ;)

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...