Tuesday, July 01, 2008

















Happy Anniversary to me -- Again!


Today is my wedding anniversary. A and I have been married for thirty six years. We "went together" for seven years before that so we have been in each other's lives for forty three years. My, that sounds like a very long time. But, it has been good. We have been healthy, have two healthy, accomplished kids, one really cute little grandson and a granddaughter on the way. Life has been good to us.

However, looking back over the "special day" I think of all the things I would have done differently. I wanted a different kind of wedding -- I wanted a private wedding with just parents, immediate family, jlshall and M and then have a big, party like reception. I wanted to wear a short dress and preferably no veil. However, A and my mom thought I would regret it if I didn't have a traditional wedding and reception so we carried on with their plans. Now, thirty six years later, I still like my original plan and, if I could do it over again, I would have my way.

In thinking back over the way things went, however, if I absolutely had to have a traditional wedding, I would still change some things. I wouldn't get married on the fourth of July weekend. People complained that it conflicted with plans like barbecues and trips to the lake. I wouldn't wear a long sleeved dress in July in South Texas. Why? Well, it is inevitable that with a l/s dress in July, the a/c in the church would break down, now isn't it? It did. I would choose a photographer whose pics wouldn't change colors. Now, of course, these pictures are in b/w because my scanner is a b/w scanner but they are in color. The bridesmaids wore lovely peach colored dresses and white gloves and cute bows in their hair. They were all a little past the "bow" age but hey, it was the early 70's, bows were popular.

The one thing I wouldn't change is the groom. He is a good guy and takes really good care of me and always has. So, I guess, at the end of the day, where it happened, when it happened and how it happened doesn't really matter -- the only thing important is that it DID happen.

The first photo is of my bridesmaids -- l to r : My cousin, Penny; Sheila, A's sister; me; JLSHall (also cousin to Penny); and the little one is Sheri -- the flower girl who didn't want to throw the flowers -- typical.

The second photo is obviously of DH and me.

3 comments:

jlshall said...

That was such a pretty dress. But it's really hard to believe you survived the wedding, wearing that in Texas in July! One of the things I remember about your wedding is that my mother told me that all the bridesmaids had been wearing jeans too long because we all walked like field hands. Nice.

monique said...

Happy Anniversary!! Mine is tomorrow, so we are both July brides :) Neat pictures, thanks for sharing!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joy -- I think I remember the comment but I certainly don't think anybody walked like field hands. I was so nervous I am surprised I walked at all -- plus, I should have worn flats. I thought you all were quite lovely.

Monique --Congratulations! How long? Do you have some interesting celebration plans? Whatever you do, enjoy!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...