Sunday, June 07, 2009

Last Chance Harvey

I have a Netflix movie to watch -- "What Dreams May Come" but I have been forewarned that it could be a bit depressing. So, in an effort to entertain myself, I went browsing through my video on demand selections. It is disturbing how many titles on VOD contain some form of the word "dead" -- but I digress.

I almost settled for "He's Just Not that Into You" but somehow I just felt the need to keep looking -- romance could be a great option over depressing but I wasn't convinced. Then, I ran across "Last Chance Harvey". While it is on my Netflix queue, I decided to "buy" it instead and I am very glad I did -- it was completely delightful!

A romance, yes, but one that I am more able to identify with which means the characters were persons of "a certain age". Emma Thompson was phenomenal. I used to not like her much but as I am seeing her in more and more things I am beginning to admire her very much -- I would define her as the British version of Meryl Streep -- or close. Dustin Hoffman played the American gentleman facing more than one crossroad in his life -- transition as he calls it -- and he was fantastic. Of course, I have been a fan of Hoffman since his "The Graduate" days and he never fails to disappoint.

I would recommend this movie without reserve. Of course, people my children's age wouldn't enjoy it, probably, but I did and would -- and probably will -- watch it again.

4 comments:

jlshall said...

Yes, I've avoided "What Dreams" mostly because of the subject matter - didn't read the book either. I'll have to put "Last Chance Harvey" on our Netflix list - I remember seeing previews last year and thinking it looked interesting. I like Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson, although they both can be a little too ditsy at times. Still, at least it's adult ditsy and not preteen ditsy which is what you get with most movies these days.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

That's why I didn't go for "He's Just Not That Into You" although Jennifer Anniston is hardly a teenager but you know what I mean. "Harvey" was really good and very comfortable.

Kirsten said...

I have to tell you, What Dreams May Come is ABSOLUTELY worth the heartbreak you experience watching it. It has its moments of darkness, of course, but it is far more uplifting than it is depressing, I find. The imagery is incredible, and Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. deliver performances that are nothing short of phenomenal.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Kirsten -- My son recommended it and he is really picky about the movies he watches -- time spent and all that. I will probably end up watching it -- I got through the deaths of the children and Robin Williams and I wasn't particularly depressed -- just kept telling myself it was just a movie! I am sure I will see it eventually.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...