Thursday, June 18, 2009


Science Fiction or Fantasy?

I have never been a reader of science fiction. It just never caught my attention even though my father was a comic book artist that drew LOTS of science fiction. I don't know why I never tried it, I just didn't.

As far as fantasy goes, I would have to say the closest I ever came was "The Wizard of Oz", "Alice In Wonderland" and "Stargirl". Do those even count? I did love those books but that is about the extent of my fantasy reading.However, I do believe that "The Shroud of the Thwacker" would fall into this catagory.

I guess I am just more of a dramatic or historical fiction reader. Even as a child I would seek out things like the "Little House" books and the Kate Seredy books. Now, I still read those sorts of books -- I have never read a chicklit book.

I am wondering if I should expand my horizons?

2 comments:

jlshall said...

I would say the Wizard of Oz and Alice books definitely qualify as fantasy. Stargirl, too. In fact, it might even be called sci-fi to some extent. I think the fact that you never got heavily into fantasy probably means you were just a well-adjusted kid. Not a flaky dreamer like your cousin. (And which cousin would that be, I wonder?)

Boyett-Brinkley said...

You are not flaky. And I don't think for one minute that I was well adjusted. I think that you just never shared your love of sci-fi with me, except for Stargirl, so I didn't follow suit. I mean, I was your shadow and did you did (still do for the most part) and I never knew you were so into the fantasy world.

I think "Stargirl" would probably qualify for both genres. And I still like it. I even bought a sort of beat up, musty copy off ebay a while back. Loved that book.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...