Tuesday, December 29, 2009



To Cook or Not to Cook

Tonight I watched "Julie and Julia" for the second time -- this time with hubby in tow. I loved this movie the first time I saw it and the second was no different and each time I was inspired. I can't cook. I don't like to go to the grocery store. Visiting Williams-Sonoma is an entirely different matter, however. I can't imagine what it would be like to shop in a French kitchen shop with one of those old, fold-up baskets like we used to use at the five and dime and just casually throw in whisks, copper pots, and big, beautiful rolling pins. I should cook, shouldn't I, especially since I have a weakness for all things kitchen.

The first time I saw the movie, I looked at the cookbook at Borders. I discovered then that I would never be a Julia Child or even a Julie Powell, even though she can cook and write, both goals and desires of mine. There is no way that I will ever "save" chicken livers -- in fact, I don't even buy chickens WITH livers -- and I am sure than in the remainder of my life, I will never, ever bone a duck. But still, the draw to such gorgeous cuisine is almost irrestible.

I do cook a bit, however, but I need a cookbook -- no natural talent here -- and I am very messy but still, I do have my moments. For instance, I do make fruitcakes almost every Christmas and this year I did make Cousin Jean's Welsh Cakes which were very good. I have no photos of those but I do have some photos of a meal I made back in the summer -- flatbread with Asparagus Milanese. So, welcome to my messy kitchen and my lovely dinner.

No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...