Tuesday, March 01, 2011


It is time for another Tuesday Teaser.  I really like doing these little glimpses into books -- opens up opportunities for others to look at works they might ordinarily pass by.

This week my teaser comes from The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe.  While "shopping" my own bookshelves for something new to start, I ran across this book which has been there for awhile.  I picked it up hoping it would be similar to The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry.  I have hopes for this novel as it's author, although raised in Houston, Texas, has her roots in Massachusetts and is related to two women involved in the Salem Witch Trials.




So, without further ado, here is my teaser.  Since I am now just starting the book, I will begin at the beginning -- first two lines on the first page, the prologue.

"Peter Petford slipped a long wooden spoon into the simmering iron pot of lentils hanging over the fire and tried to push the worry from his stomach.  He edged his low stool nearer to the hearth and leaned forward, one elbow propped on his knee, breathing in the aroma of stewed split peas mixed with burning apple wood."

Yum.  Now we begin.

4 comments:

monique said...

good intro... now I want to read on and see what's got him so worried!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Monique! I haven't gotten into it quite yet -- spent thefirst part of the day with the dentist and then spent the rest of the day wishing I hadn't but I am hoping to get a good start tomorrow while I rest up from my ordeal! I will post a review when I get done.

jlshall said...

This reminds me that I've got a really great recipe for lentil soup I haven't made in years. I should go see if I can find it in all that junk in the kitchen.

I've got this book on my "must read" list, too. It certainly got a lot of great reviews.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joy -- lentil soup sounds good as it has gotten cold again. Boo. Have you gotten my emails the last couple of days?

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...