Monday, May 30, 2011

Monday Musing

It is Monday Musing time over at Should Be Reading so here I go.  The question is "Describe the last time you were stumped for something to read and you took measures to remedy  that -- either by going to the bookstore, the library or shopping elsewhere.  What book did you choose?  Did it get you out of the your slump?"

I have been an avid reading ever since I learned how to read.  My parents bought me books on a regular basis and we went to the library regularly as well.  I don't remember having this problem but once.  It was when I was first married, in 1972.  Being before cable, DVD's, VCR's, internet, etc. I filled my spare time with needlework and reading.  It didn't take too long to clean that tiny apartment so I had quite a bit of time when I wasn't working.  Well, one evening I found myself bored out of my mind -- nothing on tv or new sewing projects and, for the first time that I could remember, I found myself without a book.  So, I grabbed the new hubby and headed for the grocery store around the corner and grabbed a paperback book.  I don't remember the title but I remember it was a Larry McMurtry work. Yes, it got me past the slump and it taught me to never be without at least one book to read. Of course, these days, it is really easy to have a book with you at all times thanks to e-readers, computers, ipads, even iphones.  So, that is how I solved the problem.

2 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Just being around books works but then it doesn't. Contradiction???

Here is my Monday: Mailbox/What Are You Reading?/Musings post!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Totally logical! Thanks for dropping by!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...