Thursday, June 09, 2011



Booking Through Thursday -- and the question is--


All things being equal (money, space, etc) would you rather own copies of the books you read?  Or borrow them?

Since we have bookcases literally all over our house and we sometimes list our local Barnes and Noble as our second address, I think it safe to say that we have a problem and probably need an intervention.  However, all things being equal, I would rather own my own books than borrow them.  The way I have solved the problem is that I bought an e-reader and I purchase books for that which means I still do own them but I don't need to put them on a shelf.  Then, if I really like the book and want a hard copy for my library, I go buy it, preferably on sale or at Half Price Books, or ebay, or even our local antique store.  I feel that having books is a privilege and a necessity to my very existence.  I guess that is a by-product of being an only child.  

7 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I can identify with what you're saying. I guess some might think my books literally everywhere in the house is a problem, LOL, I think of it as my cozy home.

I even have some in the pantry, the bathroom, and the dining room.

Check out my book world here at MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, and my daughter gave me a Kindle at Christmas to help with my "problem" (she likes a minimalist home! Good thing we don't live together!).

I do enjoy reading and downloading to my Kindle. But I still need those books!

Jo K said...

I'm more of a borrower. I only buy books I really like.

My BTT post.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Laurel -- I think books make it cozy as well and I, too, have one of those minimalist daughters. I love to go just sit at her house -- it is so uncluttered but I am always happy to come home to my "lived in" abode! Too many books a problem -- there are so many worse problems, I look at it as a blessing that we live in a country where we are free to have as many books as we want. As far as the e-reader goes, we had a rocky start, Tinklepaw and I but after the first upgrade things got better and I can curl up with it just as well as I can a regular book so I am never without.

Pepca -- I am all for borrowing and completely support the public library system which has faced some real financial challenges where I live. I also like to share books with my friends and I really don't mind if they don't find their way home (I know where my friends live! LOL). Since I got the ereader I am more discriminating about the hard copies that I actually put on the shelves.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to have your own library of books.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday_09.html

gautami tripathy said...

I am all for selective hoarding. I already own more than 2500 books!


Here is my BTT: Own or Borrow post!

Sally said...

I got my kindle to combat my space issues turns out I just but twice as many books half in print and half in ebook format.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-21.html

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...