Sunday, September 04, 2011

Uh Oh -- A Little Backslide!

It is a beautiful day today -- the breeze is blowing in a cool front that promises to reduce our 100+ temps to mid-80's by tomorrow! I couldn't be more thrilled.  I used to dread winter -- still do considering our winters have become so icy the last few years -- but I really dread summer.  It has been so hot that it hasn't been safe for outdoor activity at all this season so I am really looking forward to this cool front that is ushering in autumn. I don't believe any rain is in our forecast even with all the tropical storm activity in the gulf but that is ok, I won't be greedy -- I will be more than content with the cooler temps.
 
We had a lovely get-together last night for our DD's birthday which is actually on Tuesday.  She had a couple of good friends join us and a good time was had by all -- Beanie really enjoyed herself although it was determined that my high chair is way too big for her and sort of swallows her up.  I might have to look at an alternative but as soon as I do, she will be out of it so I don't know if it is worth the effort or the expenditure.  We did miss our son and his family, though, but he was home with a migraine.  I will check on him later and see if he is better.

The Hubs cooked kabobs -- beef and chicken and veggie for B our vegan friend.  I had rice and a large tossed salad.  Hubs also made a wonderful apple tarte tatin which he served with heavy cream.  Yum.  I made devils food cupcakes.  Trust me, his apple thing was much, much better than my mix made cupcakes.

It proved to be a quiet afternoon except for the accidents.  In the course of thirty minutes a cabinet hinge gave way, Hubs dropped something and broke one of my canister lids and then he broke a coffee cup!  We made him sit down for the rest of the evening.  he is not usually so accident prone but I felt like he was on a roll and needed to be stopped!  And then came the back sliding part ----

with every dish in the house dirty, I broke down and ran the dishwasher.  I was so sad that I didn't have the energy or the desire to stand there and wash all those dishes.  However, I used the normal wash cycle instead of the high temp cycle and I turned off the dry cycle so they dried on their own so I guess it wasn't a complete disaster.  I now remember why I don't like using the dishwasher -- my dw is across the room from where the dishes are kept and I don't especially like unloading a huge load of dishes.  It is much easier to unload the dish drainer on the counter and I prefer it so this mornings dishes were washed by hand and are happily drying right now -- in fact, they are probably already dry.  I guess I am back in the groove so to speak.

I have been trying to complete a quilt I started -- a  disappearing nine patch -- and it just isn't going together well at all.  I thought this pattern would be a cinch -- there is nothing to it -- and I have made one before but if it isn't cut accurately, it is just a monster and that is what has happened with this one I am afraid.  So, I have been struggling with that declaring under my breath that I am never going to make another one of these again!  I also found a section of a quilt that I was hand piecing and I seriously think I am going to try that again.  The accuracy is unbelievable and I much prefer handwork over being hunched over the machine.  I am going to finish that one and see how it goes -- who knows, I might actually prefer it.

So, it is labor day weekend -- the weekend I gave birth to my daughter -- very appropriate, don't you think?  I think the rest of this weekend I am going to rest, enjoy my tea outside in the cooler weather and just enjoy this wonderful change of season! Have a great weekend everybody!








3 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I wouldn't feel guilty about using the dishwasher; we use ours because it is more water efficient than washing by hand. We have a well, so we are careful with water.
There is so much rain today, I could have put the dishes outside to wash!
Jane x

Boyett-Brinkley said...

It is a toss up, isn't it between water conservation and power usage. I think I might go back to using it but at night and without the dry feature. That should work. We need rain so badly --supposedly we are having a cool front come through but it needs to hurry because it is still over 80 at 10:30 pm!

Amy said...

Great choice! :)

Here's mine:

http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/09/musing-mondays.html

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...