Thursday, March 15, 2012

A View From My Window (Door) and some random stuff


I am finally posting one of my views on the day it is supposed to be posted.  Again, not much has really changed except spring has sprung! It came early this year after virtually no winter but I am ok with that -- spring and autumn are my favorite seasons, after all, with October and April being my favorite months.  That info sort of falls into the random category of my title.  So, here are the photos for this week.














The Hubs did a good deal of work in the garden a couple of days ago and I have more photos of the verbena that seems to be on steroids along with the hyperactive mint.  I will post those soon.

In other news, the girl that has been doing my hair for a long time has had a beautiful baby boy and decided to take off for a while -- can't say as I blame her.  However, it left me looking for a new person to cut my hair.  I had options and I think I took the right one.  The new girl listened carefully and did exactly as I asked and I am thrilled.  I took the plunge and I am a little closer to Judi Dench than I was before but I am so happy with the way it looks and feels -- I almost don't mind being gray.  Well, I guess I don't really mind at all because if I did I would do something about it but, you get the picture.  So, that was my big news this week.

I have been doing a bit of sewing this week as it is spring break and my teacher daughter is home with the Bean and I am left to my own devices.  I have been doing some rearranging of my sewing things and doubt I will ever , ever get the space right but I have been working toward getting some unfinished projects done, some new ones started and look forward to using up some of my stash so that I can reduce my crafting footprint!  I like sewing/quilting/stitching/crafting but my one little area for all those activities just can't hold anymore supplies so I need to use up before I buy more.

I am in the market for a new bedspread.  I have been dealing with dust ruffle/comforter/pillow sham combo for years and just have a huge dislike for pillow shams.  The Hubs HAS to have his pillow covered at all times so there is no casual stacking of multiple pillows for the cushy look so I am looking for a bedspread that will cover the pillows when made up -- really old school and not so easy to find.  I have been checking out the offerings at Bates Mill Store and even called for swatches.  I have chosen a couple of styles to pick from and narrowed the color down but for the life of me I think that they are too expensive.  Now granted, they are made in the USA which, for me, is a plus --- I like to buy domestic when I can and they are preshrunk which is another plus as I have been known to shrink things in the dryer from time to time.  My other option is to make a quilt myself which I keep thinking about but I have a king size bed and that just seems to be a lot of work and no instant gratification.  So.....decisions, decisions, decisions......

I am reading "The Red Queen" by Philippa Gregory and it is really good.  It is one that I received for my birthday and I am really enjoying it.  I am about halfway done and will review when I am finished.

So, that is about all I have been up to -- no shopping, no cooking, nothing of any excitement at all.  I will see if I can remedy that over the weekend!

2 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

The blossom is so beautiful, and everything is so green!
Good for you for not dyeing your hair..grey is beautiful.. we should embrace our natural beauty....and if grey and short looks like Judy Dench then you have elegance licked!!
I once made a duvet cover with no sewing machine, I handstitched the whole thing..never again!
Jane x

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I wish I looked like Judi Dench but I am doing my best impersonation! Yeah, I am not sure about making a quilt that big, either. I will probably just order the bedspread. I have some more photos of the verbena -- it is going crazy! We have had a lot of rain and it sure is making everything pretty!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...