Tuesday, June 05, 2012


Teaser Tuesdays -- 5 June 2012


It has been awhile since I have done a Teaser Tuesday so I figured it was time to participate once more.  This teaser is from Below Stairs by Margaret Powell, page 44.

"I don't know what bell it was.' 'You must be quicker,' she'd say, 'otherwise all hell will be let loose upstairs." But what could you do?  If you were in the middle of something you couldn't drop it straight away.  I was always in trouble over those bells at first, but at last I mastered the art, and nobody shot out quicker than I did when they rang."



4 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

Ooh, I like the sound of that. I like Upstairs,Downstairs/ Downton Abbey type books.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Actually, Jane, according to the title, this is "the classic kitchen maid's memoir that inspired Upstairs, Downstairs and Downton Abbey. I love these sorts of reads, especially since my own great-grandmother was a domestic in private homes both in Wales and here. Let's me know a bit of what her life was like even though I am sure it wasn't easy. Sort of like the old saying "what doesn't kill you makes your stronger" and she was one strong little Englishwoman -- little meaning about 4' 7".

Karen and Gerard said...

Is this about maids or servants?

Here's ours: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2012/06/tuesday-teasers-cat-daddy-and-sister.html

Boyett-Brinkley said...

It is the memoir of a woman who went into domestic service in her mi teens -- it chronicles her life prior to her service as well as afterward.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...