Thursday, December 27, 2012






Booking Through Thursday -- December 27, 2012


What are/were your favorite book(s) of the year?  Bonus points if you know how many books you read.

Well, since I participated in the 2012 Reading Challenge, I know how many books I read.  My goal was 25 books and I completed 22 and am still working on 23.  I may or may not get it finished by the end of the year.  I did  better this year than last year but I don't think I will be participating in any more challenges.  I feel like the goal to finish a certain number of books sort of lessens the enjoyment of reading so my goal for the new year will be to read books I really enjoy, take the time to really enjoy them and write some nice reviews.

As far as my favorite books of the year are concerned, I have to say I enjoyed all the books I read.  I really enjoyed getting into the "Aunt Dimity" series and plan to continue with the series this year.  There are fifteen in the series and I am about half done, taking breaks between books to read other things.

I have to say that "The School of Essential Ingredients" was a favorite contemporary work.  The setting drew me in immediately -- I  love being able to visualize where/when a book is set.  If the setting is well developed, I am caught.

I think my favorite "period" novel was "The Forgotten Garden".   For me it was a page turner that I couldn't put down.  I read it on my Nook and then bought a hard copy for my library.  I had never read any of Kate Morton works but several other titles of hers are on my list for 2013.

I enjoyed "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters but it wasn't as scary as I was hoping.  It was more sad than scary and when I read it I was in the mood for scary but it was still really good -- I am a big fan of Sarah Waters and hope to read more of her works in the new year.

So, yeah, that's about it!

2 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

Well done on reading all those books. I have ten books to donate to the library, but it has been closed since CHristmas Eve, so will go in this week.

Have you had the British series "Call the Midwife" on tv? I want to read the books the series was based on. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1356955214991#/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jennifer+worth&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajennifer+worth

How many books are you hoping to read in 2013?

Happy New Year to you and your family,

Gill

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thanks, Gill! I am not sure how many books I will read this year but I am not going to join any challenges. I guess my challenge will just be to start reading and see how far I get. I enjoyed the challenge except I found myself trying to read too fast in order to meet my goal and not really enjoying the books.

Yes, I have watched "Call the Midwife" a time or two -- I enjoyed it but I keep missing it! I really like Miranda Hart. The books would probably be good. My daughter's mother in law just visited from the UK and brought a book with her called "Birmingham Rose" by Annie Murray. She left it for me to read and I am looking forward to reading it -- I can't find it here so I hope I don't get too hooked on the author or she will be posting me more books!

My best wishes to you and your family for the new year!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...