Friday, January 03, 2014

Book Beginnings on Friday

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader.  The premise is to share the first sentence or two of what you are currently reading.




I am beginning this book as I share this line with you so here goes:


"Liverpool was a desperate place on October 9, 1940, when Julia Stanley Lennon gave birth tp her first and only son, at the Oxford Maternity Home."

Yes, this is a biography of John Lennon written by Tim Riley.  My first impression of this book came when I saw the cover in the store -- a somber John Lennon looking through rose colored glasses.  I never thought of John Lennon as anything but a realist and a bit cynical so the idea of him looking at life through pink tinted shades just doesn't mesh with my impression of him.  I look forward to seeing if perhaps he was a bit more idealistic and optimistic as a youngster than he was as an adult.

From the descriptive language of the first sentence I expect this book to be written in a realistic manner, sometimes harsh, but never sugar coated.  That remains to be seen.  I will review when I am done.  Loads of photos in this book -- I am sure I will enjoy that!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This should be a good memoir. ENJOY!!

Please stop by for a giveaway on my blog if you like. The link to the giveaway is in my Book Beginnings post.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Book Beginnings

Tea said...

Seems like your reading a bio of a person you've followed while they were famous singing.

JC Jones said...

I have never been that much of a Lennon fan so I will be interested in how you like the book since you are a fan.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

John Lennon definitely led an interesting life. I'm looking forward to reading your review of the book.
Here's the link to my Friday post: A GOOD HOME.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Love that cover...and yes, now I'm curious too. I'm a big Beatles fan, and John always seemed so mysterious.

Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

Gill - That British Woman said...

I was at work in the kitchen (worked in a hotel) so was only about 16 or 17 when I heard on the radio that John Lennon had been shot.

Funny how you remember certain things?

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...