Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Granola

 I cook.  I haven't always enjoyed it and still don't enjoy a lot of cooking but I have a few things I do like to do.  Granola is one of them.


Six cups of regular rolled oats


2 tsp, cinnamon and vanilla, 1 tsp salt, diced walnuts to taste


2/3 cups local honey, 1/4 cups neutral oil

1 cup currants -- more or less to taste or you can use raisins
All mixed up and spread on cookie sheet to cook

Ok, you mix everything together except the currants (or raisins), spread in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for.....well, that is a tricky question.  I have tried timing it but it messes up on a regular basis so my advice would be to WATCH it.  It burns easily because of the honey so just watch it until you get it browned to your satisfaction.

After it cools add the currants or raisins and stir.  

Sometimes, when I can find it, I add a cup or two of shredded, unsweetened coconut before I bake it.  It adds a little texture but, being unsweetened, it doesn't make it overly sweet.

I store it in a glass jar and there you have it.

6 comments:

Minnie said...

That looks really good and packed with lots of energy foods.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thanks, Minnie! It is good and it tastes real.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I agree it does look yummy and really easy to make.

Elizabethd said...

It looks like what we know as Muesli, delicious!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Elizabeth -- yes, the same. I just discovered they stock Dorset Cereals at our local Target store!

Pooch said...

So healthy!! (Trying not to think about the snack bag of chips I ate on the way to Denver today.)

Enjoy your yummy snack!

:)

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...