Monday, January 13, 2014

 Musing Mondays -- January 13, 2014






 
 

Question: Are “best” and “favorite” the same thing? If someone asked you “What’s the best book you ever read?” would the answer be the same as for “What’s your favorite? {source}



I would assume that by "best" you mean the best written technically and "favorite" is the one you like the most regardless of the quality of writing.  I think these terms are probably more interchangeable in younger readers than adults.  A child can read a book (do they even still do that?) and declare it to be the best book ever but an adult will be more discerning. 

How would I answer that question?  I have no idea.  I don't know that I can answer because I don't know that  I have a favorite book although I have many that stand out in my mind.  As far as "best", unless the writing is just completely horrendous (like you can't understand what is being said because of lousy syntax) I tend to not be particularly critical if I am "into" the story.  However, if the writing is really awful, there is no way I can get into the story if I have to work too hard at figuring out what is trying to be said. 


3 comments:

JC Jones said...

It is fun to see what everyone answered on this one.
I have a different post so did not post an answer.

Click here to go to Mixed Book Bag

Cheryl said...

I've enjoyed visiting blogs to see the variety of answers, too. I didn't break it down like you did, but I still believe they can be different books in the best or favorite category.

Since I had scheduled my Musing to run before I say the new post, I simply added today's best versus favorite to that post. Hope you'll visit me at http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2014/01/musing-mondays-january-13th.html

Udita Banerjee said...

Bad writing makes a book awful, even if it has a half decent plot
http://cupandchaucer.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/musing-mondays-january-13/

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...