Thursday, March 13, 2014


Voila -- And Then There Was Bread!

Do not use this pan.  Trust me on this.





Earlier today I posted on Facebook about not liking commercially made bread anymore.  I have been making our bread for the last several weeks because all I taste are chemicals when I eat the ready made stuff.  So, I tried several recipes and found one I liked, made an adjustment or two and have my go-to recipe.  A couple of people have asked me to post the recipe but rather than doing it on FB, I am doing it here because I feel like I have more room to ramble.

So, anyway, this is the recipe I have titled Melissa's Easy White Bread #2.  It is #2 because it was my second attempt with changes.  So, here goes.

3/4 cup warm water
1 pkg. yeast (or 3 tsp. if you are using it out of a jar)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. melted butter
1/2 cup milk
3 cups all purpose flour (I thought it came out better when I used organic all purpose flour.)

1.  In a large bowl add warm water and yeast.  Stir until yeast is dissolved.

2.  Add sugar, butter and milk to the bowl of yeast and stir.

3.  Mix in first 2 cups of flour and salt.

4.  If needed, add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time until dough chases spoon around bowl.

5.  Turn dough out on a floured board and knead adding small spoonfuls of flour as needed.

6.  Put it in an oiled bowl to rise -- about an hour.

7.  Punch down, knead again on floured board, shape into a loaf.  Spray pan with Pam (or something like it) lightly.  Put the dough into the pan and let it rise again -- about an hour.

8.  Bake at 375 for 30-45 minutes.  You know when it is done when it sounds hollow when you thump the top.

Actually, I have just been adding the three cups of flour in the beginning and lightly dust the board when I knead the bread.  You can do it according to directions but you end up using all the flour anyway so -- yeah, I just put it all in.  


Ok, note about pan.  I used this ceramic pan three times and two out of the three times it didn't turn out like I wanted it.  You aren't supposed to have to grease the pan after the first use but the last time I used it I buttered the pan and the bread was soggy and today, I didn't grease the pan and the bread stuck.  So, I have had great luck with this recipe with a regular loaf pan that you can buy at the grocery store or Target.  I won't be using this pan again. 

Anyway, this is my white bread recipe.  It is fast and easy to mix up, you don't feel like you are doing heavy exercise to mix it up and it turns out really good.  So, enjoy!


No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...