Monday, April 28, 2014

Musing Mondays (Apr. 28)

MusingMondays5Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it! 
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!


The Library

Every week or so we take our granddaughter to the library.  She loves the library.  In fact, we took her to our local used book store the other day and she thought she was at the library and gathered herself up quite a stack of books.  Ha! That is another post.

However, as we were standing in line at the LIBRARY I noticed a lovely mystery book on one of the display shelves close by.  It is "Death Comes to the Village" by Catherine Lloyd.  Being the sucker for covers that I am, I snatched it up and brought it home.  It is the first time, in a very long time, that I have checked out a library book for myself and I was surprised at the exhilaration that came over me -- just like when I was a kid.  The library was one of my favorite places and I could lose myself there for hours and that was exactly how I felt this time.

I brought home one book that grabbed my attention, not a stack of random reads off a sale table.  I was excited to read this one book, not just put it on the shelf for "someday".  It brought back many great childhood memories.  I didn't realize that just one borrowed book could do that.

So, my thought of the day is that maybe it is a good thing that the B&N near me closed.  I have often said that the library is under utilized, under respected and should be protected. Maybe I need to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.  The library near my house is a short car ride away, much closer than B&N, maybe I should be going there instead.  I sure did like the way it felt.

 

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a fun memory. I use the library mostly for research these days, but with two daughters who love reading, the library keeps me from going broke.

Hope you'll visit http://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2014/04/musing-mondays-april-28.html

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I understand that for sure! This granddaughter loves books so much and has an extensive collection of her own but she still loves the library and always finds something new. I think she is going to have to give me equal time to look from now on!

JC Jones said...

I love going to the library and do both, bookstores and library. It does help keep my bookshelves a little less cluttered.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...