Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Into the Garden

We have spent the last several days tweaking the garden.  Due to the harsh winter we suffered some loss in the landscaping, mostly in the front and mostly the Hawthorne bushes.  So, we took one out of the front flower bed which left a gap.  We thought a great deal about what to put in the gap -- another shrub, a tree, perhaps, but we finally decided on this.









Our house is relatively new construction, about 8 years old and is done in a French Country style.  I guess.  It looks pretty much like all new houses except that it has a turret which has caused more roofing problems that we were banking on but that is another conversation.  In any event, trying to decorate something "French Country" in Texas is difficult so we opted for this lovely Victorian style plant hanger.  Now, granted, Victorian isn't French Country either but it does lend an air of "cozy" to the front of the house.  The hanger itself is made from a 2" fence post with brackets that were purchased separately.  Hubs sunk it in a concrete footing so it isn't going to go anywhere, I hope.  The brackets were ordered from a place online and the baskets were bought locally.  He has planted them with purslane which seems to do very well in our yard and something with a blue flower.  I like blue with the color of the brick so I needed something blue.   All in all I think it turned out quite well.  It filled the gap and adds some interest and I am pleased.

The purslane in the blue pots by the gate has done very well, as it usually does.  I love walking out and seeing these happy flowers first thing in the morning.  We have two pots of it in the back as well which are just as prolific and they are so cheery -- you can't help but smile.


 
and finally, I added a little flag.  I love lighthouses and I am not sure why -- I have never lived near any water that had a lighthouse unless you count the tiny one at Woodlawn Lake in San Antonio and I never lived near it, really, either. 





So there you have a look at our front garden.  It is looking pretty good over all and I think my husband did a bang up job on the plant hanger.  That was #1 on my honey-do list for this summer so one down and two to go!  Will post more progress later. 

Have a wonderful Wednesday!



4 comments:

Pooch said...

Cudos to your DH for making the attractive plant hanger! Bravo! I think plant hangers/shepherd's hooks are an attractive visual break among lower plantings. Bird feeders, flower baskets, and bird houses look so cheery hanging in our yard.
:)

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thanks pooch -- I am very proud of his efforts.

Jane and Chris said...

I really like it....it adds both height and interest!
Jane x

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thanks, Jane! Now we are waiting for the HOA to tell us we can't have it!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...