Sunday, July 13, 2014

I Can Finally Share --


I used to quilt a lot but for a number of reasons, I have sort of lost interest in the craft.  However, there is the occasional baby quilt to make and that is what I have been working on the last month or so.  Since I have been learning the English Paper Piecing technique I decided to use that approach to this project.  Now, granted, this project was just squares and the EPP technique was more work that it needed to be but I really did enjoy the accuracy of it and am glad I did it.  Also, I decided to machine quilt the project instead of hand quilting because it is meant to be used and washed and I just thought it would be stronger.  Ok, that sounded good but the real reason was that this was meant to be a baby quilt and not a kindergarten nap map and I wanted to get it done in a reasonable period of time.  If time had not been a concern, I would have hand quilted it to keep it all consistent.

The new baby is a boy and his mom is doing his room in gray, white and turquoise with touches of red so I chose fabrics with those colors.  I also learned something from the Hubs.  As I was connecting the larger sections, I was having a hard time holding everything together to insure the accuracy so he came to my rescue with tiny binder clips.  They worked beautifully and, yes, he isn't getting them back. 

I also did the binding differently than I had ever done before.  I usually bind each side individually and tuck the ends in and secure. This time I was determined to use a continuous binding and I was thrilled that it worked so well.  I will probably do this sort of binding from now on.

So, here are a few of the photos from the project -- I wish I had taken better ones but you will get the idea of how it went.  I was very pleased with the entire project.





I used a paper cutter to cut my paper squares for the English Paper Piecing
Fabric from designer Aneela Hoey -- yes, they are straight pins but I look at them as just a geometic with lots of color
Binder Clips to hold things together
Continuous binding
Nice design on the back from the straight line quilting
Finished product


So, what do you think?

6 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

I think you deserve a pat on the back!
Jane x

Minnie said...

Looks beautiful, good job.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Why, thank you Jane!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thank you, Minnie!

Penhallow Street said...

Stunning! You've created a harmonious look with the colored and gray squares being of the same intensity--and the machine quilting gives it a contemporary feel. Lucky Mom and baby :) Bonnie

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Bonnie -- thank you! I usually draw my quilts out on graph paper first, trying several combinations but this one just kept drawing me in. So simple but yet, it appealed to me.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...