Saturday, December 27, 2014

Getting Ready for the New Year


It seems that 2014 is going to go out with a crunch ---  possibly that of ice underfoot.  We have had reasonably nice weather for the Christmas holiday, so far.  It has been gloomy enough to look like winter yet mild enough to go without coats.  However, it appears that may be coming to an end.  We watch one specific weather report every night and I have absolutely no faith in one of the forecasters.  However, the head meteorologist is usually pretty good and when he says, several days out, that ice is a possiblity, even a small one, I tend to listen and make sure I have certain necessities in the house.  So, after the events of this weekend, I will be heading out to make sure I have those necessities -- bathroom tissue, milk and chili.  Everything a person needs for the duration.

I will also be spending some time re-doing my blog.  I have signed up for several reading challenges for the upcoming year.  Yes, I know, I said I wasn't going to do that but they ARE fun and they do keep me reading and they do give me goals throughout the year.  I am finding that as I get older, if I don't have a goal things just tend to not get done.  I am not particularly bothered by that -- I have spent a good many years "getting things done" so if something slides I don't get my knickers in a twist about it.  However, there is something fulfilling about ticking things off a list.

I might actually create a monthly cross stitch challenge for myself.  I do like to cross stitch and it is coming easier for me these days than quilting.  For instance, I have quilted myself into a very sore and swollen wrist right now and that was doing it on a machine! Sometimes I think machine quilting is much harder than hand quilting but I digress.  In any event, I might be putting something up about a personal cross stitch challenge.

I need to re-do the side bar of the blog to reflect my reading progress in all of these challenges.  If it is there, in front of me, I will remember it and pay attention.  If I jot it down in some obscure place, like a little notebook, it will be lost forever and sometime down the road, when I do remember it, I will be playing catch up and that just never works well. 

I think I will leave the 2014 Reading Challenge list up there at least until New Year's Eve.  I might leave it period.  That way I can see clearly what I have already read without having to go to Goodreads and look it up.  Goodreads and I don't seem to play nice.

So, that is my goal for the blog this year.  I think I will keep the same design because I really like sharing my own photos and I like changing the colors around.  I have one of those little flag holders outside my house and I like to change the flag each month to celebrate something special for that month -- every month has something special.  That is sort of how I view my blog header -- changing it up every month.  Who knows, maybe that is where I will display the ongoing cross stitch challenge.  We will see.

Well, time to go work on the baby quilt.  I will post photos when I am done.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

2 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

Hi Melissa, I'm spending part of Saturday writing to you - I've just taken a break to listen to my audiobook and do a bit of knotting. I'm looking forward to seeing this baby quilt! Good luck with the cross stitch. I haven't done any for ages - maybe you can inspire me!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Mary! Hope you are having a good Sabbath. The quilt is in the washer, hopefully it won't fall apart! I will post pics as soon as it is all dry and fluffy. I have a couple of beautiful birds to cross stitch and hope to start on those but I think I would like to do some small things that I can actually get finished -- I have a real problem with not getting things finished. Looking forward to your letter!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...