Thursday, January 01, 2015

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Yes, I am a bit late with the midnight felicitations but at midnight I was sawing logs.  I no longer stay up on New Years Eve.  After years of doing that and feeling pretty sleep deprived the next day, I realized that the New Year looked a lot rosier with some sleep.  So, I retired around 8:30 p.m. with the first book of my 2015 challenges and was down for the count a little after 9 p.m.

Another thing I no longer do is make resolutions.  I try to review the prior year and make note of what went well and what didn't. If something worked out I will continue but if it didn't I will see how to tweak it to make it better -- or discard it altogether. 

A few of the things I will be doing this year are:

Maintaining a healthy eating plan.  Not a diet, mind you, but eating for good health.  The healthy eating plan went well (until Thanksgiving/Christmas -- opps) and I will continue to practice what I worked out to be a good fit for me.  This requires eating at home more so I need to work on some new recipes. 

Exercising more -- I don't like to exercise so I have been trying to work out a non-exercise routine which, obviously, means walking more.  I will be wearing my pedometer every day and keeping closer tabs on my steps.  I might throw in a hula hoop but, for today, I am sitting out with a gimpy knee -- I have learned to rest through a problem rather than just continue and make it worse.  I don't know what I have done to my knee but it isn't good so I am resting.

Evaluate my crafting life.  I do like to make things.  I have pretty much fallen out of love with quilting for a variety of reasons -- mostly because I don't have room to spread things out and it becomes so challenging that I don't really enjoy it anymore.  I might try some of the quilt as you go techniques but for now, it is going to the bottom of my list.  I do like to cross stitch and have challenged myself to starting a project -- one project -- a month and finishing it.  It will have to be small but that is ok.  Anything to get me back in the habit of stitching.

Teaching myself to loom knit.  I have tried traditional knitting and my brain clearly doesn't roll that way.  I do, however, have a set of knitting looms and I am going to try my hand at it.  My goal is to knit dish clothes.  How hard could that be?  For me -- probably quite difficult but we will see.

Continuing my reading challenges.  This year I have signed up for so many reading challenges but most of them overlap to some extent so it should be good.  I have already started my first book for the Newbery Challenge. I chose "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.  I have read one of her books before and enjoyed it so I am hoping this one goes well.  It is a dystopian novel and those sort of tend to freak me out but so far it is ok.  I will review here.

So, I know that doesn't sound like much but it is enough for me.  There aren't too many changes I would make to my life -- I like calm and quiet and I pretty much have that.  I value good health and so far so good.  I like being busy but I have learned to appreciate and embrace relaxation and time spent just doing nothing.  It is all about balance and I guess that would be my goal for the new year -- good balance.

So, on that note -- have a wonderful New Year's Day, stay safe and warm and join me back here anytime for a bit of a chat.


2 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

How can you say that doesn't look much? It seems a fantastic amount to me! Diet, exercise, monthly craft project, learn to knit and read extensively- I'm glad I'm sitting down to read it all>

Happy New Year!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Mary -- LOL! Yes, I guess it really is more than I thought when I look at it but I think if I am consistent and practice each thing a little bit each day I will accomplish something. The hardest bit for me is the cooking. I like to cook what I like to eat but unfortunately the Hubs and I don't have the same taste in food -- haven't for over 40 years. It makes it very hard so we eat out a lot and that isn't good for either one of us. I think my unsung goal will be to get him to help me in the kitchen -- that might be the most difficult thing of all!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...