Monday, January 11, 2016

Moving Day Number -- oh who knows anymore

Moving my MIL to an assisted living apartment is like the never ending project.  It took us the entire day to move her clothes from one the old apt. to the new apt. which is just across the parking lot -- she had to look at each piece and determine whether it would stay or go -- she had to pare down because she just didn't have as much closet space.  It. took. all. day.  She has two closets in the new apartment and they are now full to the brim.  We are toting six medium size (18 X 18 X 16) moving boxes full of clothes to the charity shop tomorrow.  In the process of clearing out one closet we found six more boxes and one bag full of clothes that we didn't know was there.  We are about to lose our minds.

I have learned so much about minimal living from this experience.  Much more than I ever learned from reading books or blogs or articles.  At one point this afternoon I was musing about how Marie Kondo would handle this situation.  I am sure she wouldn't have felt like running away -- she probably would have enjoyed the experience.  I did not. 

So, when I get finished dealing with MIL's possessions I am moving on to my own.  I am not ever going to have my kids go mad going through my junk.


4 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

As you have commented on my blog a couple of times "Keep swimming, swimming, swimming". Things WILL get better

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Oh Mary, please keep me in your prayers. I am on a medication whose two primary side effects are muscle and joint aches and fatigue. I already have arthritis and the meds are just making it worse so all this running around, in the cold, isn't helping anything. I am also extremely tired, I suspect complicated by the meds as well. Thank goodness we can more or less see the end of things and fortunately the weather is going to be nice for the next couple of days. My daughter and son in law and, of course, the Bean have been going beyond the call of duty and have been so helpful -- I don't think we could have done it without them. Yes, keep swimming, swimming, swimming -- even if I feel it is against the current!

Pom Pom said...

Poor you. It IS a great "ah ha" to see so much, way beyond what we could ever need. I've always admired people who have a very simple wardrobe. I hope today is better.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Pom Pom -- thank you -- I think today will be better because we haven't started out at dawn. I have already started looking through my wardrobe and some catalogues -- it is time to replenish a few things and I have decided that it will be a capsule wardrobe using a couple of colors -- if they are even colors -- navy, black, khaki, white and gray -- all solids -- enough to get dressed each day (something I learned from Flylady), a couple of outfits for church and dress up (I don't wear dresses anymore),my new winter coat and a couple of sweaters and that is pretty much it. I will blog about it for sure.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...