Wednesday, February 15, 2017

This and That

Good morning!  I went to bed late last night and slept in a bit this morning but I woke up as the sun peeked through the shutter-- a pleasant sight from the cold, gray days we have been having.  I got used to summer quickly and then poof! it was gone.  Now it is back and I am happy.

So far this morning I have had a bowl of cereal and cleaned out the refrigerator since the trash men come today.  I will be tackling the freezer and the pantry later.  I declared today to be the pantry cleaning day.  The pantry has become the storage place for a lot of things other than food -- mostly small appliances.

 I had three crock pots -- two of my own and one of my mother-in-law's.  I gave one of mine to my daughter-in-law and then put my mother-in-law's back out in the garage with the rest of her stuff we are storing.  I will keep the one I have because you can put the liner on the stove and brown things in it before you set it to slow cook.  I don't know why I bother though because my husband doesn't like food cooked in a slow cooker.  C'est la vie!

I have a rather old bread maker which I don't really use anymore.  I don't like the shape of the loaf.  So, when we moved my MIL and I brought some of her stuff home I tried her bread maker.  Better shaped loaf but I didn't like the bread it made.  So, out to the garage it went.  I find I prefer using my stand mixer and just making regular bread.  My stand mixer kneads it for me and that is good enough.  The bread recipe I use is great so it turns out wonderful.  I really should make bread more often. And butter.  Sounds like a diet destruction looking for a place to happen.

So, anyway, today I plan to reclaim the pantry for food.  Then I have to grocery shop.

I really don't like Walmart.  Yesterday evening, around 6 p.m., my husband and I went into the one across the street to buy some hair clippers for him.  We checked out and as I was putting things away in my purse I was aware of a man VERY close to me.  It was like he was shuffling around me, first on one side, then the other, then behind me -- it was like I couldn't get away from him.  My husband was walking ahead of me and I asked him to stop for a minute and I just stopped walking.  The guy almost ran into me and I stepped on him.  I turned around and gave him "the" look and he just took off.  I am sure I was about to get purse snatched or picked, one of the two.  I carry a big tote and it has a zipper.  I was putting my receipt away and then zipped the purse up.  It was on my elbow and not my shoulder.  I think he was trying some "fancy footwork" on me to confuse me.  He just made me angry.  That tote is so heavy, I could have hit him with it and done some real bodily harm.  The only harm done was that I got angry, he got his feet stepped on and it just reinforced my dislike of Walmart.

I felt terrible yesterday -- I thought I was coming down with the flu in spite of getting the shot.  Seems it was just my allergies rearing their ugly head again.  So, after some aspirin and mucinex and a little nap I felt better and improved as the evening went on.  I still wasn't in the best of mood when I encountered the guy at Walmart but I didn't feel sick so that was good.  This morning, yep, I see the allergies are still there but I have energy and I think it will get better as the day goes on.

Still working on the cross stitch and have a couple of sewing projects I would like to work on after I finish cleaning out the freezer.  I am determined to get my "stuff" under control here and get my spaces better to work in. 

So, yes, that is what today holds.  I will let you know how the pantry redeaux goes.

2 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Way to go, M!
I've never heard of a crock pot with a browning feature you can use on the stove. Smart!
I think the dough setting is best for bread machines. That way you can use a regular loaf pan.
I'm glad you didn't get your purse snatched!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I like that particular crockpot because of the browning feature and that is the only reason I keep it at all. I have used the dough setting on the bread machine but I have been using the dough hook on my mixer and it works well too. I'm glad I didn't get purse snatched too! I am afraid he would have met with a fight had he tried!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...