Monday, May 15, 2017

Mother's Day, Church Picnic, Confirmation

Yesterday was Mother's Day.  I have mixed feelings about Mother's Day as a holiday.  I love mothers, I believe in mothers, I AM a mother and I think mothers should be honored and appreciated.  Everyday.  Not just on some Sunday in May.  To me, it is somewhat of a Hallmark holiday, like Valentines.  I guess that is a bit bah-humbuggy of me, right?

Well, anyway, yesterday was a banner day at church.  It was Mother's Day and it was so good to see families together.  It was our Bishop's annual visit and confirmation day! And, it was the blessing of our new playground and church community recreation area.

We had a picnic.  The meat was provided by Fr. Estes and the rest of the chow was brought to us by Feastivities -- a catering company owned by one of our own.  It was delish!  The congregation provided the desserts and ohmygoodness, they were good.  I never heard of making banana pudding with Chessmen cookies -- so much better than vanilla wafers.

So, I thought I would share some snaps of the big day.  Of course, there were none taken in church of confirmation but it was a beautiful event, trust me on that.  But, here are some of the festivities afterward!

















So, yeah, this is our new playground with some really gorgeous play equipment.  What isn't pictured is a lovely new basketball court.  This area will be used for our kids to play, for some Sunday School instruction and for congregational gatherings like this one.  It is beautiful, the folks who worked on it this whole last year have done a wonderful job and we are truly blessed!

8 comments:

JLS Hall said...

Wow, she is growing up really fast!

That's a very cute playground. Love the "log" with the squirrel on it, and those mushroom/toadstool thingies. Looks like you had a very happy, busy Mum's Day.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

yes, she is growing up. Yet, she still looks little. The playground is really neat. That big rock thing she is climbing on has a tunnel and inside the tunnel is the bear! They all had a great time and I had a very nice day!

Frugally challenged said...

That looks a lovely day! The nosh sounds great even though I haven't got a clue what chessmen cookies are and would be intrigued to know what the banana pudding consists of!

Funny how I've commented on food rather than anything else, isn't it?

Pom Pom said...

That is a cool playground! Aw! How fun!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Mary-- it was a lovely day and the food was great! Ok, we have a company here called Pepperidge Farm and they make cookies and crackers and bread and stuff like that. One of their cookies is called Chessmen and they look similar to playing cards with chessmen embossed on them. The are a short bread type thing. So, you take vanilla custard, sliced bananas, and the cookies and you layer them in a casserole dish and put whipped cream on top (that is optional). It is really wonderful if you like bananas. It is one of those things that people either really like it or really don't!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Pom Pom --yes, it is a fantastic playground! And the kids loved it. I think Bean was on it more than anybody else. She loves to climb. Scares me to death.

Pom Pom said...

Ha! I know! The climbers make Granny very nervous, but our kids were real monkeys so you'd think I could relax. Bean is a cutie pie!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thank you, Pom Pom!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...