Friday, May 25, 2018

New Old School -- AKA Old Dog Learning New Tricks -- for me anyway

I have a love/hate relationship with my crock pot.  It is a good crock pot.  I can brown meat in it on the stove.  It cooks a mean pot of beans.  The crock is removable so cleaning is relatively easy.  So what is my problem?

Everything coming out of it tastes the same.  I recently made a recipe of orange chicken.  It was dreadful -- and I couldn't tell the chicken from the roast I cooked last. 

I prefer the oven but......what if I leave the house.

My mother would have never left the oven on and left the house so, as a result, it never occurred to me.  I do remember one time that I programmed the oven to come on and heat a lasagne while I was at church but that was walking on the wild side for me.

So, I want to cook a roast.  I don't want to put it in the crock pot.  I want to slow cook it in the oven.  I am going to be brave and put in on low (300) and then go get the g-daughter from school.  I am going to leave the oven on. 

This is ridiculous -- I am sure it will be fine. 

I think I am too old a dog to learn new tricks!

2 comments:

Pom Pom said...

This is how I cook pot roast: put it in the cast iron Dutch oven with a quartered onion, salt and pepper - cook all day at 250 degrees. It needs at least 5 hours but more is better. Your house will smell like . . . YUM!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

that is essentially what I did and it did smell divine and it tasted pretty yummy too!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...