Sunday, December 09, 2018

Sunday, December 9

Today was the second Sunday in Advent.  It was a good day, the sun came out and everybody felt pretty good.

Here are a couple of pics of our Advent set up.

our wreath and our devotional book

closer picture of the book

building our creche -- I think we are a little out of order
For our devotion we use the Advent series of the Little Gospels.  It is part of three collections of devotions used by the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.  It is just a lovely little series.

Today's candle represented faith.  We talked about Mary and the Angel coming to visit to announce that she was going to have a baby.  We sort of decided that Mary must have had the most faith of anybody in the world -- I mean, think about it -- you wake up and there is an angel in your room -- one you can see -- and talk to and you are told you are going to have a baby that is going to be the most important person ever --- and you are 14 years old, well,  she must have had faith beyond measure.

It was a good day.




6 comments:

Pom Pom said...

A great day! I’m glad you had such a lovely second Sunday in Advent ❤️

GretchenJoanna said...

Amen. What an example for us!

I wish that when my children were young we had known enough to "do" Advent.

Frugally challenged said...

The different traditions of meaning for the four candles is interesting. I lit the candle in church today and remembered the prophets (last week was the patriarchs). Another blogger says that at her church the second candle is for love.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Mary,yes, and if you "google" it you will see all sorts of different things -- I even found red candles! Last week we did hope, this week faith, next Sunday is gaudete Sunday -- joy, rejoice -- and then love. One year I had peace stuck in there. I am not sure if there is a definitive definition! And I am pretty sure I am not right but it is a tradition and one that the Beanster looks forward to. With that said she goes to Catholic school and they do it one way, she goes to an Anglican church and we do it another way and then lunch at Nona's and I am just flying by the seat of my pants so she is either well covered in the Advent department or completely confused.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Pom Pom-- thank you, I am having a wonderful Advent. And you know why I think I am? I decided to not buy gifts. Stress gone. Yay!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

GretchenJoanna -- I was raised in the Methodist church and we didn't do this sort of thing. Then, when I was a teenager I became Lutheran and it was a prominent part of the Christmas season. When I started having kids, I started doing the Advent wreath. What we did with it changed from year to year but we always did it. I am still doing it with a granddaughter now and it still changes from year to year and I never do it the same way -- except for the candles. But, we look forward to it.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...