Saturday, February 09, 2019

Unlikely Book Club

I have been reading a lot lately and have happened upon some really good books.  Currently reading "The Water Tower Club" by B. K. Mayo and it is turning into a real page turner.  I will review when I am finished.

I have also found myself part of a very unlikely book club consisting of two members -- me and the Bean.

Bean is an avid reader and has advanced to the likes of Harry Potter and similiar things.  She reads a good deal, at a good pace, and enjoys an advanced level of enjoyment.

Lately she has been sharing her books with me.  I am not a Harry Potter fan, I don't think, I have never been interested in starting the books but maybe I should check them out.

However, we are now reading "TheCricket in Times Square" by George Selden.  It is about Chester Cricket who has been adopted as a pet by Mario Bellini.  Mama Bellini doesn't like Chester but Papa Bellini has a soft spot for the little insect.  Chester and Mario have great adventures, like visiting Chinatown, and it is really quite the engaging little book.  Written in 1960 it won the Newberry Honor Award in 1961.  The illustrations are by my all time favorite illustrator, Garth Williams.

The next book in the queue is "Because of Winn Dixie" by Kate DiCamillo.  It was published in 2000 and won the Newberry Honor award in 2001.  In 2000 it won the Josette Frank award and in 2003 it won the Mark Twain award.

Bean has finished the book already and I have yet to start.  She said it was amazing although it had a sad patch, but got better as it neared the end.  I remember watching the movie but don't remember the details.  I am sure the book is better and I will be starting it shortly. 

I am very thankful that Bean loves to read and that she likes a wide variety of books.  She reminds me of me as a child and I might recommend the next book -- "The Good Master" by Kate Seredy -- one of my favorites as a child. 







I remember visiting the library and checking out the books in this series and I distinctly remember curling up on the couch and reading it through as it rained slow, steady, and abundantly as it is want to do in San Antonio.  Such a good book.  I hope she likes it as well.

I am quite happy with my little book club.  It suits me!

2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

I quite enjoy reading books aimed at kids and have found most of the ones that have been Newberry Award winners worth reading ( not to mention fast reads).
Garth Williams of Little House book fame? No wonder you like the illustrations.
At one time my adult daughter, my DIL, and myself had a mini book club but for some reason that petered out.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Yes, that Garth Williams. I have a friend who collects his original doodles. Very adorable and very valuable. Most of the Newberry books are good and definitely worth reading. I am sure there will be more on our list. She is a good reading partner, she likes discussing the books as well. In a little while we are going to watch the Winn Dixie movie an she is going to tell me how much better the book is! Such a great little reader with really good taste.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...