Thursday, May 16, 2019

Milestone

Bean wanted a pet.  She is allergic to dogs and cats.  So, about a year and a half ago she got a hamster named Sprinkles.  Sprinkles is a winter white dwarf hamster and is very small. Sprinkles adapted well and is quite happy in her home.

Fast forward about six months and Bean thought she could handle a second hamster.  Enter Snowball -- another of the same variety but really rather huge and quite the acrobatic comedian. She has been quite entertaining and a joy to have.

Moving on to yesterday -- they all returned home to find Snowball asleep on top of her bedding, breathing very shallow and unresponsive.  Crisis ensused.  Daddy was summoned from the grocery store to deal with the unthinkable.

After much research, Daddy decided that Snowball might be hibernating, something that even  hamster house pets can do even though I had never heard of it.

So, Snowball was covered with a little fleece blanket and watched to see if warming her up would produce a miracle.

Apparently she moved out from under the blanket during the night but when they looked at her this morning she was no longer breathing and her ears were flat.

Daddy still thought she might be hibernating so he covered her up again and put a warm water bottle in the cage with her to see if he could warm her up. 

That was the last I heard.

My daughter doesn't think she is hibernating, she believes she has gone to hammy heaven.  I have no clue because I have never heard of hamsters hibernating even though I have had many hamsters in my children's lives. 

The funeral is planned for this evening in my back yard.

Unless there is a miracle resurrection.

I will let you know. 


2 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Oh dear! Poor Bean. I hope she doesn't feel too too sad about this. I remember years ago one of my kids got to bring the class Gerbil ( or maybe it was a Guinea pig) home for the weekend and it went and died while it was here much to their horror. Can't remember if we buried it or if they took it back to school to be dealt with there.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Thanks TH. Bean is fine and wantIng guinea pig. Her mother however was very sad. They will survive

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...