Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Faith

Getting older has some perks.  Some of those perks are time and opportunity.  We have the opportunity to be around our granddaughter on a daily basis.  We have the time to spend with her and to share her life experiences with her.  Because we have fewer obligations now than we did with our own children, we have the time to spend with her and see her through good times and bad.

We live at the tail end of tornado alley and we can have some really rough weather.  Bean is totally afraid of storms.  Recently we had such a storm while she was here and her behavior completely astonished me.  Now, she has been in church since she was born—we are active, practicing Anglicans.  She has been Catholic School educated since age 3.  The child is well indoctrinated so it shouldn’t have been such a shock to me but the thunder started and I watched her as she fell to her knees, crossed herself and started praying furtively through the tears.  Then she came to the table where we were all sitting  and asked us to please pray with her.  We did, of course, and then took the pets to the safe place in the house and as the storm subsided we learned that there was a small tornado that went through her neighborhood and did some damage.  She asked why her house was spared.  I asked the question back to her and she smiled and said “because we prayed”.  

The next day or so a friend of mine who has an uncanny knack of posting scripture that is just what I need to hear when I need to hear it posted this—

“When my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I am” — Psalm 61.2

How could I not think of my sobbing, frightened little granddaughter when I saw that?  She knew exactly what to do when she couldn’t do anything else. She was overwhelmed and she went to the rock.

I am so glad to be at this time in my life where I have the time to sit back and watch and wonder at the growth and development of this young mind and heart.  I am so glad to have the opportunity to witness her faith in action.,

4 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

What an awesome post about an awesome little girls's faith!!
We've also have the chance to see each of our 5 grands grow ( I took care of each of them till school age while their parents worked and some also came after school).
In 2006 we remodeled our home to make it possible for our middle son,our DIL and grand-daughter who was 3 at the time to move in. Then 10 years ago M was born and has been such a big part of our lives to this day. We are so fortunate and blessed.
Keep on enjoying your time with Bean!!

Pom Pom said...

What a wonderful story, BB! Oh, I love little Bean's heart!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Granny yes having them around is a blessing, isn’t it? I am so grateful everyday to have her.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hi, Pom Pom! She has a good heart for sure.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...