Friday, January 03, 2020

Good Reads Reading Challenge 2020

For this years reading challenge I have committed to 36 books to be divided evenly between the genres regular adult fiction (probably including cozy mysteries), children or YA, and non-fiction.

I have completed my first book. It is “The Boy on the Porch” by Sharon Creech.  It is the story of a mute boy being left on the porch of a young married couple to be tended to until his parents return to get him.  He was left with a crumpled, poorly written note with no end date.

He stayed.  The grown ups became attached and, as you would figure, his father showed up to get him after he had been there a long time.

How did he affect their lives?  How did his going affect their lives?  And.......did he come back?

I don’t think this is a book that children would enjoy even though it was very well written.  I read it in one setting but I found it repetitive. It was interesting enough for me to keep going but I don’t know if I would recommend it.


3 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

Just picked a book up from the library today "Blue Hollow Falls by Donna Kauffman," it's ages since I have read a book.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I read a lot mostly because it doesn’t make a mess! I have given up almost all my other hobbies because I don’t like to clean! I am sort of thinking about doing cross stitch again and I am still dabbling in the card making. I am going to look into the title you mention although I think I am going to try to challenge myself to read the books I have in my stash that I haven’t touched to fulfill my challenge! That will be a challenge in itself.

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sure I've read that book The Boy on the Porch. The storyline sounds so familiar.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...