Thursday, May 08, 2008

Booking Through Thursday -- Manual Labor

"Writing guides, grammar books, punctuation how-to's....do you read them? Not read them? How many writing books, grammar books, dictionaries--if any--do you have in your library?"

I have a dictionary and a thesaurus. I HAD a Strunk and White but my daughter confiscated that. I have a number, maybe six, writing guides from a creative writing course I took a number of years ago. I still have some texts from college, also.

Do I read them? No. I reference them, from time to time, but I don't sit down and read them. I have been known to read encyclopedias for pleasure, however.

I have found that as I am reading more and blogging more that my need for such material is, once again, more viable. However, I am finding a new resource for that -- my daughter, who is a communication/journalism major, comes in most handy for that sort of thing. In fact, she has told me that I am entirely too liberal with commas which is evidenced in the previous sentence. So, while, I don't read these sorts of books, I probably should.

6 comments:

CJ said...

You're not alone with the commas. And it is great having a walking reference around, isn't it?

cjh

Boyett-Brinkley said...

cjh -- yes, but she can be so bossy!

monique said...

I use commas by the bizillion, usually.

jlshall said...

Yes, I, use, a, lot, of, commas, too!!! Also, lots of exclamation marks!!!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Monique -- Commas can be so decorative --like embellishments!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

jlshall -- Well, exclamation points do sort of the same as typing in all caps but they are happy and not angry! See!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...