Thursday, June 26, 2008

Booking Through Thursday

"What, in your opinion, is the definition of a 'reader'. "A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what is?" Or, more specific. Like the specific person who is reading something you wrote."


In my opinion a reader can be all of those things or just one of those things. A person who reads everything in sight -- a voracious reader -- while maybe not particularly discriminating, is still reading and probably a great deal. A person who reads BOOKS is indeed a reader. A person who reads for school or work is also a reader.

However, when I think of a "reader" I think of a person who truly loves to read, regardless of the genre. I think of a "reader" as one who becomes involved with the characters and plotlines and plunges into the story (or article) completely.

In my opinion, a "reader" is someone who is passionate about the pasttime, regardless of what he/she is reading but gets into it, enjoys it, looks forward to the next adventure and realizes that the ability to read is a life changing gift.

"Like the specific person who is reading something you wrote". Yes, she defines the term "reader".

10 comments:

The Kool-Aid Mom said...

I love your kitty pic! Such a pretty kitty! I love what you said: "...looks forward to the next adventure and realizes that the ability to read is a life changing gift."

There have been many books that have changed my life. :-D

Idaho Gal said...

I agree whole heartily with your definition!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

the kool-aid mom --

Thank you! Rollie is a rescue that will be 2 in September. We have had him since he was 5 months old. He is a large cat and is currently on a diet but not getting very far -- much like his human mother! I have some more pictures I hope to put up later.

Yes, books can be life changing and I am a firm believer that if you can read, you can do anything because everything you need to know is in a book -- someplace.

Thanks for the comment!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Idaho gal --
Thanks for the comment! I remember watching my mother read the newspaper when I was little and was completely fascinated by it. I always wanted to read. That drive, plus a whole lot of interaction with JLSHall, made me a young, strong reader and I was always very thankful that I loved to read and that it was encouraged in my family, something I passed on to my own children.

SmilingSally said...

"Passionate about the pasttime" is a good definition.

jlshall said...

Of course, being your identical twin cousin, I agree with everything you say!

Just curious - did you ever finish the quilt that Rollie's relaxing on in the photo? Or did he claim it as his own?

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Hmm my defintion is very restrictive it seems.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

JLSHall --

I am still working on the dang thing -- this morning in fact! That is the one I just HAVE to get finished. I can't seem to move on until I do and it just won't end. Arrrrgh!

monique said...

A reader is someone who reads (and re-reads) the directions on the shampoo bottles when they are in the bathroom! Um, no that I've ever done that... just sayin'
LOL

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Monique -- Shhhhh -- I do those things too!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...