Friday, July 18, 2008

The Secret of Roan Inish

You know how there are some things in life you just know you are going to love? Like spring and fall and good enchiladas and great movies and a drive in the country? Well, my DVR is on that list. I always liked my VCR and the first one we had was fantastic -- easy to program, etc -- and the last one we had was, well, not. So, when we acquired DVR, I just knew I would love it and I do. I go through the tv listings and program away and there is always something to watch. With that said, however, I had to delete all my "Baby Borrowers" because that show is just too painful!

I digress.

Last night, A was at his bosses house for a yearly shindig -- spouses not included -- so I was home with my frozen pizza and DVR. Not a bad combo, if I do say so myself. So, I went flipping through my line up and settled on a movie that I had seen in the bookstores but wouldn't let go of the cash to buy.

The movie is "The Secret of Roan Inish". It is the story of a little girl, Fiona, who is born on the island of Roan Inish and whose mother dies with the birth of her younger brother. During the course of the movie, the baby drifts out to sea in his cradle, the family leaves the island, the father can't cope with the loss of his wife and child and Fiona is sent to live with her grandparents who had also left Roan Inish due to lack of work. Life on the mainland, Donegal, Ireland, is steeped in folklore and beliefs and Fiona learned them all and believed in them. She is also fascinated by the seals that inhabit the waters around the area. On a trip to the island with her grandfather, Fiona bonds with the island and also discovers that the island is not completely deserted. As the movie progresses, Fiona learns the secret of Roan Inish and she and her cousin set about reuniting her family with their beloved homeplace and opening up the secret.

I won't tell you the secret but I will say that it has a very happy ending. I didn't know what to expect from this movie but it is delightful. The setting is beautiful, off the coast of Ireland. The actors, unknown to me, were very good. The story was endearing. A bit of reality, a bit of fantasy, it held my interest and I will probably be buying it for my DVD library because it is something I would watch again.

2 comments:

jlshall said...

Spouses not included? What a rip-off! Did they have scantily clad dancing girls jumping out of cakes?

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Hee hee! Yeah, spouses not included -- never a favorite concept of mine because I always thought that it was a bit shady. I didn't ask about cake jumpers but I assume that because A did return home at a reasonable hour (after an hour in traffic) that nothing of that sort went on. If it did, I figured he would either fall over dead or never come home -- I mean, I haven't jumped out of a cake in years and years!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...