Thursday, January 29, 2009


"Our Kind" by Kate Walbert

My first book in the RYOB Challenge is "Our Kind" by Kate Walbert. This is a collection of short stories, "memoirs" if you will, about a group of women who have been friends for years. They lives are chronicalled for about the past 40 years through the events that have befallen them, both good and bad. It is a short book and very well written. The images created brought back fond memories of my growing up during these same years. However, I found it to be depressing. I think it was just the wrong book at the wrong time for me. I would recommend reading a few of the pages prior to committing to this book but don't let my opinion stop you -- just not right for me at this time.

2 comments:

jlshall said...

I was sort of planning to read this one this year, too. But after looking at a few reviews, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. It does sound pretty depressing - I think right now I need a lot more laughs. Maybe if I save it for the summertime....

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Well, each character reminisces about something and then it comes back to what they have aged into. Uh....yeah...especially since it takes place during OUR time -- now it would be like our mother's age group but still -- it is sad.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...