Thursday, May 28, 2009




Booking Through Thursday -- Is there a book you wish you could unread? One that you disliked so thoroughly you wish you could just forget that you ever read it?

Well, I would have to say "no" to this question. In the first place, if I don't like a book in the first page or so, it never gets any further than that. I am not the sort that can just sit down and read anything, I have to like it.

There are, however, a few books that start out slow but I keep on going and, at the end of the day, they usually turn out to be can't-put-them-down-page-turners. I do believe in giving a book a chance so in order for me to give it up on the first page, it has to be something that I am really not interested in or just doesn't grab me at all.

There are a few books that I like, that I WANT to like but find getting through them similar to walking through quicksand. "London" would be one of these books. I enjoy it while I am reading it but it seems like it just takes forever to read a page. "London" is taking a sabbatical right now -- I will get back to it.

I have never, however, read a book that I wish I hadn't read.

3 comments:

Nise' said...

That's is true for me too, there are books that I really wanted to like.

jlshall said...

I started to check "London" out the last time I was at the library, but when I saw it was nearly 900 pages, I decided to wait a while on that. I read his other book - the one about Stonehenge and Salisbury - a few years back, but it took me a couple of years to finish. And I had a terrible time keeping track of all the different families down through all the different generations. It was worse than doing my own family history research.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Nise -- yes, there are some that the covers are so nice or the reviews are good and then, wham, not so good and I really wanted to like them.

jlshall -- yes, I think I am on about page 85 and I have been reading for two or three years. I think the problem is trying to keep the genealogy straight -- I just keep going for the outstanding physical characteristic that runs through the line -- a shock of white hair. It isn't much easier to keep up with though than everyone being named James!!!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...