Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Reader

Very good Netflix movie last night -- "The Reader". I have looked at the book but deferred to the movie -- I WILL be reading the book. The movie headlined some our today's best actors -- Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. The young man that play a young Michael Berg was very good but I am not sure of his name -- should be better prepared when posting. I digress. At any rate, it was a disturbing movie from the beginning -- a late-thirty-something woman having an affair with a 15 year old boy -- made me a little uncomfortable. The plot progressed beyond that, however, into an even more disturbing subplot -- Winslet's character, Hanna, having been an SS guard who is on trial for the murder of 300 people. She is found guilty and lives out her life in prison. Obviously, she and Michael had parted ways but they find each other again and, while I don't want to spoil the ending, let's just say that it is very bittersweet. While the whole movie smacks of sadness, the end is somehow not so sad. It just shows how we never really know how people affect one another lives -- this being an extreme, obviously.

I would definitely recommend and this is the first movie, in a long time, that would prompt me to read the book.

No comments:

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...