Thursday, May 21, 2009





What book would you love to be able to read again for the first time?

I think the book that comes to mind that I would love to be able to read again for the first time was "The Diary of Anne Frank". I must have been about twelve or thirteen when I read it for the first time and knew that it was different from any other biography that I had read before. In the first place, it wasn't written about the past it was written in present tense and was the first time that I had had such a personal view of such tragedy and the person was approximately my age. It was controversial yet not inappropriate and it opened up a world to me beyond my own walls. Now, I had read other books about other countries -- I was partial to Kate Seredy's books and I inhaled anything to do with the United Kingdom. "The Diary of Anne Frank" was completely different in that it was a real person and it happened only a decade before to a girl my age. I could completely identify with her thoughts and feelings and empathized with her completely. I would love to be able to get the "first" impression of this book again -- I wouldn't mind being twelve or thirteen again either if just for a day.

6 comments:

Ravenous Reader said...

I read this when I was very young too, and my perceptions reading it as an adult were quite different.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

This question has actually prompted me to want to re-read it -- I think I will put it on my to do list.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Good pick.

jlshall said...

I read this one when I was about twelve or so, and loved it, too. I was especially interested in it because I've always loved keeping a diary myself. But I remember that at first I had a very hard time believing that it was real, and not fiction. How wonderful to be that naive, right?

Boyett-Brinkley said...

jlshall -- yes, innocence -- I think that is a thing of the past

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

I read this book as a young girl and I have seen the film. Great choice.

I have some regrets about my own BTT choice because it might be better as a re-read than reading it for the first time again.

Here is my BTT post.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...