Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What is it about Pepper Berries?

There is a store not far from my house that carries Door Pottery. I love Door Pottery so a couple of weeks ago I decided to treat myself to a small vase to put on my dining table. It is blue, small and understated. I wanted something small yet unique to put in it. I preferred something real. So, off I go to my local Central Market and happen upon the perfect thing -- Pepper Berries.



They were so pretty and smelled delightful -- apparently. I brought them home and put them in the vase -- they were so cheery and colorful -- just the right pop of color to brighten up breakfast.

Enter, the cat.


The cat won't leave the pepper berries alone -- he rubs up against the vase (definite no-no), climbs on the table (sorry, not allowed) and now he has eaten the leaves. I hope they aren't toxic, or should I say WEREN'T toxic -- they have now been removed and I am on a quest to find artificial pepper berries that don't scream painted styrofoam or plastic. I really liked the look. But, I still have to wonder -- what is it about them that would make the cat go mad?

2 comments:

jlshall said...

Don't know if Pepper Berries are toxic to eat (and why would a cat want to eat them, anyway?), but I know they can cause skin rashes. So it's probably just as well you ditched the real plant. Of course, if he's anything like our cats, Rollie might actually prefer the artificial kind!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I never even thought about them being toxic because it never occured to me that the cat would get in the middle of the table and chew on them! There were only a couple of little stems of them -- I am shocked that he even paid any attention to them. They do smell really good though but they are gone. He seems fine so I don't think it did anything awful to him. Silly feline. And yes, he probably would like the artificial kind -- he has a definite hankering for the telephone cord so I guess plastic is okie dokie with him.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...