Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Earthquakes? In Texas?

Ok, people, this is Texas -- not California. Why in the world have there been four earthquakes -- very small ones -- in the Johnson County area in a week. Three of those were one a day for the last three days. The one yesterday was strong enough to cause an aftershock. Some people believe it is because of the gas drilling in the area. It seems there is a huge number of wells being drilled right now. The county government has hired a geologist to try to get to the root of the problem but it seems they are getting more frequent and a bit stronger each time. I don't know about you, but this doesn't sound good to me. Texas -- tornadoes, hurricanes, floods -- yes, but earthquakes? Let's hope this is just a fluke and not working into an ongoing problem. I like my feet flat on a stable ground, thank you very much.

2 comments:

jlshall said...

And don't forget the ice storms!

Actually, it seems that earthquakes are becoming more common all over the place these days. We've had several up here in the last couple of years, and that never used to happen. I think maybe it's just that the measuring equipment is a lot more sophisticated now than it ever was in the past. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

That sounds good to me too. I am sure that is, partly, correct but I think we are seeing more and more odd stuff. Plus, they are drilling up here like mad -- there are wells everywhere and I can't help but believe that has something to do with it too. Ice storms -- yes -- who could forget about those. I have been having a running commentary (argument) with our cousin Jim about winter. He loves it -- I say he can have it. He keeps trying to tell me how much better it is to live up there with snow 9 months out of the year. He hasn't figured out yet that there is no way he is going to convince me of that. He thinks they have a better way of life. Well, I don't know about that but I am not apt to become a snowbunny for sure.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...