Thursday, June 11, 2009

What Niche Books Do YOU Read?


I have always been a prolific reader -- in the past more so than now -- it was easier when my mother was doing the cleaning and cooking -- I had LOTS of time then. However, now my reading goes in spurts but I still manage to get some in every day. When I say "reading" I mean anything -- magazines, books, how - to books.

I guess the largest group of "niche" books I read would have to be needlework books -- either cross stitch or quilting. That comes in all forms, magazine, online magazines, books -- I have a good sized collection of quilt books as well as a number of cross stitch pattern books and more magazines than I can find a place to store. One of my favorite magazines is "Piecework" because of their articles on needlework history. In this group I would have to include blogs. I read a number of needlework blogs -- two daily -- http://mymarkdesigns.wordpress.com and http://marykathryn.wordpress.com. These are two very talented ladies in the field of needlework. Their blogs are never disappointing.

The second largest group of "niche" books would have to be cookbooks. I have no clue why because I don't really like cooking but I like cookbooks. Maybe somewhere deep down I WANT to like cooking. Nah.

Following the cookbooks closely would be self-help books revolving mostly around diet. Note to all -- the diet books don't work. Just quit eating. Really. If you must follow a book I would have to say Bettheny Frankels book "Naturally Thin" would be a winner. In a nutshell it tells you -- just quit eating. Some of the self help books I read involve "going green" -- many in magazine form. I believe in going green. It is better, cleaner for everybody, cheaper in the long run and maybe the ol' planet will keep turning for a while longer if we all did our part. Jumping off my soapbox now.

The last but definitely not least "niche" books I read are religious books. I read a lot of "Christian" fiction but I read a lot of non-fiction religiously based things as well. Right now I am reading a Bible that I found that is broken up, like a diary, into passages for each day of the year. It isn't in chronological form but rather each day has a passage from the Old Testament, the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs. The goal is obviously to read the entire Bible in a year. Now, granted, reading it chronologically would make more sense but this way a person at least can read the entire thing and then go back later and re-read. It is written in modern language which I don't think is so great but, again, it makes it more readable and there are lots of footnotes and notations showing where the "translations" were coming from. I am also reading a book on the rosary -- the history, the meaning, the process. It is very interesting and for us non-Catholics it clears up a lot of the misinformation that we were given in our non-Catholic churches regarding the Marian devotion.

I love getting lost in a novel, being able to be someplace else, somebody else, living life vicariously through a book but it seems, as I am getting older, that I am reading more for knowledge -- how to do something, how to make things better, how to be a better person -- things like that.

9 comments:

Sunny said...

You have a nice variety of niche books! I don't like cooking either so I understand collecting cook books. We need all the help we can get! LOL! (I recently started using www.e-mealz.com and love it!)

I also love Christian fiction and non-fiction as well.

Sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gautami tripathy said...

I loved reading your thoughts about your niche books. Very enlightening!

Booking through niche

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Sunny -- I am going to checkout the webiste you mention -- I am sure it will be interesting.

Guatami -- Thanks for taking a look and commenting!

JoAnn said...

Needlework and cookbooks are popular with me, too.

zetor said...

We have similar tastes ----- Catholicism, sewing and cookery.

Jacqueline C. said...

Gotta love a good cookbook. Here are mine: (1) and (2)

jlshall said...

In somebody's post today I saw a reference to "Catholicism for Dummies"! I definitely need a copy of that. I'm very stupid about the faith, even though half of Daddy's family were Catholic.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

jlshall -- well, I could use a book called Anglicanism for Dummies. Long, long story but I am learning things about the church I have been a part of for 10 years that I never knew. I don't know if things are new or if I am just figuring it out. It is an adventure.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...