Thursday, June 25, 2009

Shopping Day!

It has been a while since I shopped for anything other than books and magazines. So, today, in a weak moment, I decided to indulge myself.

In a quest to try to provide treats for my diabetic husband, I am always looking for something that will not do him too much harm. I always try to buy "sugar free" which usually falls flat -- his take on it is "buy regular and I will just eat less" which usually falls flat as well. So, after tasting some really pretty wretched all natural, hand-made, hand-packed pricy ice cream and finding it to be entirely too sweet for his eating plan I decided to make my own. So, this morning I headed to my local Williams Sonoma and bought this --



I haven't gotten it out of the box yet -- I hope there are some recipes in it -- and I have to find room in the freezer to freeze the thing but I feel like I will have much more control over the amount of whatever I decide to put in it.

Then, I just couldn't stop there -- I had to have this from Target --I had been looking for a chicken fryer for sometime and, even though there is a brand new Ace Mart right down the road from me, I decided on this on. I don't fry food very often but when I do I am always saying I need a deeper pan because I really don't like getting popped with grease. Plus, it is big and I can cook all the shrimp for my hubby and me and one time instead of smaller batches. And----it has a lid -- I always need lids. So, now I have to find a place for it as well. Sounds like a reorganization of the kitchen is in my future.

Anyway, that was my morning. All that and groceries bought before 11:30! What can I say -- I don't shop unless I know what I am going for, go straight there and get it -- no messing around. Well, except for the books but that is a whole different blog!

2 comments:

jlshall said...

I like that chicken fryer - I may have to go look at Target. I don't do much frying either, but my old frypan is starting to fall apart. Well, I guess I can't expect it last forever - your mother gave it to me as a wedding gift!

The ice cream maker looks promising, too. But my darling hubby and I can't eat ice cream anymore, so I guess I can't really justify buying one. Probably don't have room in our freezer anyway. We'll just have to stick to low fat yogurt. You know you're getting really old when you start eating Activia for dessert.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

they have two of the chicken fryers -- one that is plain stainless and the other has some sort of non-stick coating. I opted for the plain stainless because I don't think non-stick coatings are good for you -- especially when they start flaking off.

Yes, I think you are due a new frying pan. I don't fry a whole lot of stuff because neither one of us do well with greasy food but every once in a while I do and I needed a pan big enough. Well, deep enough. It is pretty heavy too.

Well, we don't do desserts much at all -- rarely have anything in the house but we do like to have ice cream once in a while so I thought I would try this. After reading the instructions, it seems pretty easy but it won't be an everyday thing (thank goodness) because you have to freeze the bowl for at least 15 hours and I am not real sure if I can get it in my freezer either! We will see -- I am not throwing away the box.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...