Saturday, January 02, 2010

Off to a Good Start


As I said in a previous post -- I don't believe in resolutions for the New Year. I did do some soul searching, however, and realized that I don't use my time well. There are things I love to do but I procrastinate terribly -- that translates into watches too much television. So, I decided to make a concerted effort -- within my perameter of living one day at a time -- to do more of the things I love to do and quit worrying about the things I don't -- that translates into worry about housework.

One of the things I love is quilting. I have two projects going but can't show you here because they are a secret! I will show you photos eventually, just not now.

Another thing I love is cross stitch. Four or five years ago I bought some patterns by Terrance Nolan. The names of the patterns are "Fuji" and "Haiku" and they are the most beautiful birds I have ever seen -- they work up very nicely as I saw the models. I did start these once but was using 16 ct. even weave and, after about 20 stitches, I realized that is just too small for these eyes so I bought 14 ct. aida and intend to start over. Since I hadn't gotten very far I don't feel bad about it. I will be doing the work without a hoop as I am finding that my fingers don't do well while clutching things for long periods of time -- like the remote control or the Wii controller.

I will begin with "Fuji" as seen below. He is really a gorgeous little guy and I will post photos as I progress. I don't think this will be a quick finish.

When I get done with "Fuji" I will start on "Haiku". I am sorry the photo is so small but it is just as lovely. Actually, the patterns don't look too difficult, lots of colors, and some specialty threads -- I am looking forward to it.

Another thing I am trying to do more of is read. I was always an avid reader and have somehow let the pasttime slide. However, mid-month I am getting my Christmas present -- a Nook, the e-reader introduced by Barnes and Noble. I can hardly wait and have already purchased a cover for it that looks like this--


Another thing I am going to try to do more of is cook. It is difficult with an overweight me and a diabetic husband who doesn't like leftovers but I am trying. So, with that said, I am off to bake a cake for lunch tomorrow. I hope it freezes well since neither one of us are supposed to be eating it!! Maybe I will post a pic of it --





















4 comments:

jlshall said...

Those really are very pretty patterns. I've been thinking about doing a little cross stitch lately, too. I'd have to start with something much simpler, of course - it's been twenty years since I did anything like that.

I'm waiting to hear how you like the Nook. Don't think I'll be getting an e-reader for a while, although when we start traveling back and forth between here and Texas, I can see that it might be good to have one.

So how did the cake turn out? Did you take a picture of it?

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I thought these patterns were pretty too -- I saw them worked up and they were really nice. They don't look difficult, just lots of colors which mean a lot of single stitches which makes the back look bad but it makes the front look really nice.

I haven't gotten the Nook yet, it is to be shipped the 15th. I am really looking forward to it and I am not sure why -- I think I am just a gadget person. I think the first book I am going to purchase for it is one of the Elinor Lipman books -- I really enjoyed "The Inn at Lake Devine".

Well, the cake didn't turn out because the cake never got started. It called for two boxes of Betty Crocker choc/chip muffin mix and when I opened the first box it looked like all the chips had melted and got clumped at the bottom, hard as a rock, and were that ughy white that chocolate gets when it gets hot. The second box was the same so, since it was already 9 pm. when I started I just scrapped the whole idea. I was so tired trying to make some soup and sandwich filling that I thought I was going to die -- stood in the kitchen ALL day. I am rethinking Sunday lunch or I am going to have to start working out for the ordeal.

jlshall said...

I'm a great believer in eating Sunday lunch OUT. Since it's usually just the two of us on Sundays around here, Michael and I just generally have a snack. But if we had other people to feed, we'd definitely be heading for the nearest Olive Garden!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Well, "out" is our usual method of operation -- I just thought lunch at home would be nice -- yeah, no. In the first place, nobody but me will eat soup! So, I had so much left over I just sort of ditched it. Chris took the chicken salad home, Allen wouldn't eat the copper penny carrots and nobody wanted the roast. So, yeah, I think I will just refrain from eating out all week so Sunday won't be so bad.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...