Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bean's Quilt

While Bean is busy growing and practicing gymnastics and practicing her "Gig Em" sign, Nona is busy creating a baby quilt. Mommy and Nona went to the fabric store, The Quilter's Stash, in North Richland Hills a few weeks ago and spent two hours auditioning fabrics for this little quilt. We came home with twenty two different fabrics and a package of Quilter's Dream batting -- the most wonderful batting on the market, IMHO.




Bean's mommy has a wonderful plan for her room, I guess I would call the style "Americana Cozy" and that is all I am going to say about it. She chose a wide variety of fabrics from her inspiration wall decor and each, in it's own way, evokes memories for me as a lot of it comes from vintage or reproduction lines. The style of the quilt is very simple -- 4.5 inch squares, randomly set. The colors are wonderful and have a way of setting off each other. I arranged them in a truly random way, only making sure that I didn't put two identical squares next to one another.





I had been thinking about doing some Welsh quilting on this -- a technique I would like to explore -- but Bean's mommy wants it to be a soft, cuddly quilt and the extensive quilting found on Welsh quilts might make it a bit more stiff so it will be simple quilting. I am not sure how I am going to quilt it yet but I think, whatever I do, I will do by hand. Quilting by hand creates a softer drape and besides, I haven't done anything by hand in a long time and I have been wanting to do something so this project, not being too big, seems the perfect thing.




I had thought about finishing the edges with prairie points but, in a way, it seems too stark for a baby quilt so I will probably just choose one of the fabrics and do a simple binding -- maybe with the lovely rose fabric with the meandering flowers. I want this quilt to be used and soft and washed and dragged around -- a proper working quilt -- not something just folded and put away because Nona made it.

I will be backing it with muslin for two reasons. Muslin comes in very wide widths and I really don't like seams on the back of my quilts. Plus, muslin washes up very nicely and just gets softer with age and it needles well. So, that, coupled with my Quilters Dream batting will make a lovely little wrap for Bean!

Tomorrow will be the starting point. I hope to have it basted and in the hoop so I can sit back and be in hand quilting heaven -- the most relaxing hobby I can think of other than napping. I will post photos of the finished product when it is, in fact, the finished product.

2 comments:

Aisling said...

So now I have an idea what Welsh quilting is, thank you.
When I was in America, i was supposed to fly into Newark, then from Newark to Atlanta, spend a few days in Milledgeville abotu 2 hours SW of Atlanta, then drive up to Birmingham spend a week there, then go back to Milledgeville and finally fly back home via the same route.

Things did not go to plan and my journey to Atlanta took 4 days. If you go to my main blog and look further down the page you will find the post I wrote last Friday describing that journey.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Zoe -- I did read your blog and I am amazed you didn't just throw your hands up and get on the next flight out to the UK! Our weather this sinter has been completely strange and it has caused a lot of problems -- we aren't usually so disorganized! I am sorry that people were rude to you -- that is uncalled for even in times of stress. At any rate, I hope your next visit is nicer.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...