Wednesday, March 24, 2010












Simple Woman's Daybook, March 23, 2010

Outside my window I see a cloudy sky with the sun trying to peek through -- it looks like it is going to make it.

I am thinking that I really haven't accomplished much today and I am wondering if that really matters.

I am thankful for the warmer weather.

From the learning rooms I am learning about traditional Welsh quilting.

From the kitchen absolutely nothing is going to come today -- it is my kitchen day off -- randomly chosen.

I am wearing black slacks and a striped shirt.

I am creating a baby quilt for Bean.

I am going to have to decide what my "quilt as desired" desire is.

I am reading "Bramwell Valley" -- silly, silly book.

I am hoping to get a better nights sleep tonight.

I am hearing Ellen Degeneres in the background.

Around the house I am systematically decluttering -- I have been watching "Hoarders" -- scary stuff.

One of my favorite things is my cat -- so demanding, forces me to think about something other than myself.

A few plans for the rest of the week is to finish the baby quilt.

Here is a picture thought to share with you:

4 comments:

Aisling said...

Is Welsh quilting much different than other quilting?
There's an awesome exhibition of quilts from throughout history at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and I am desperately trying to find a reason I NEED to be in London before it finishes so I can go see it.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Ok, here is your reason -- you have to go because I can't! Actually, the answer to your question is yes and no. There is thought that Welsh quilting influenced Amish quilting in that it uses large, bold patterns. The quilting designs are what set it apart, however. Most of the Welsh quilters were poor and most likely widows of miners and quilting was one of the few, respectable occupations for a woman. They didn't have patterns so they used what they had available, like cups, plates, etc. to draw out elaborate designs. Another design is the Welsh pear which is like a paisley. They use lots of spirals and circles and hearts. The Welsh are also well known for their whole cloth quilts done mostly on a sateen type fabric. They are gorgeous and the quilting is exquisite. I wish I could see one in person.

jlshall said...

Yes, I like to watch "Hoarders," too. It makes me feel really normal and stable, since all those poor wretches are obviously much farther along the slippery slope than I am. But I do recognize the impulse in myself - I've always had hoarding tendencies. The thing that I find so appalling about all the hoarders on the show isn't the actual hoarding - it's the filth they're willing to live with. I mean, so you accumulate lots of stuff - you could still pick up a broom occasionally!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Joy -- I think that is what makes the difference between a hoarder and a collector. I accumulate things (fabric comes to mind) but it isn't kept in squalor. These people are obviously deranged and that is what makes the show less than entertaining and more shocking. I mean, if they were just slobs it would be kinda funny -- like in Clean House or that BBC show. But, the reality is that these people are really ill.

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...