Sunday, March 27, 2011

Booking Through Thursday


Series? Or stand alone books?


Late with this, again, I realize but this has been a very busy week.  So, the question is, do I prefer series books or stand alone books?  Well, it depends -- cop out answer, I realize but it is true.

If it is a good series, like the Mitford series, I love it because if the book is that good, I really hate to see it end.  However, if it is mediocre, or worse, it is a problem for me because I have a problem not finishing things and a bad series can be a real drag.

For that same reason, I like stand alone books.  Sometimes, in series, they start out great and, like the movie that should have ended half an hour earlier, they sort of "wear out their welcome".  It is especially satisfying when the entire story can be told within one cover.  In the case of the Mitford series (I know, I know), the original story really needs to be told in multiple books.  However, Karon's new Fr. Tim series is stand alone.  Even though the second book subtly references the first, you don't have to have read the first to read the second.  With that said, however, if you haven't read the first, you will want to.

So, I guess my answer to the question is -- both -- depends on the book, the topic, and the author. 

2 comments:

jlshall said...

"Both" would be my answer, too. I do read a lot of series books, though. My problem with most series is that I usually jump in right at the end or in the middle or something, instead of starting with the first book. That probably says something about the way my brain is organized.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I know what you mean! I started the quilting books by Jennifer Chiaverinni and have only read the first one. However, I keep looking at them and picking them up only to realize that I am way behind in the series. I will probably never catch up with those!

Update

 Ok, so we visited our cardiologist yesterday to get the lay of the land for the Hubs.  Seems there is an issue with one of the grafts from ...